This is Buddy.  He is my grandson's corgi and has just lost his leg to cancer.  Even with treatment we can only expect him to live another year or two.  Fortunately Buddy doesn't know this and is happily chasing balls and sticks.  Then there is his passion.  SQUIRRELS!  We were wondering if there any other corgis fighting the same battle.

Views: 511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Happy I am, just looking ahead as I have learned to do. I don't dwell on what can happen but am aware of all of it. My boy has done so much for me and others. A true gift from life!

Shoot how could you not be happy when you have that!
Jeannie, our first female blue merle Cardigan, lived degenerative spinal disorder for about 18 months before she died at age 12.  Eventually she couldn't use her back legs for walking at all.  She could swim very well so we made sure she got in the pool everyday during her last summer and even having to drag herself around she played in the yard with the other dogs - including Star and Scout as pups.  We knew she was leaving us and Snoopy was quite old too so we decided to bring in two new dogs before they passed.   
Ok, chemo round 3 was yesterday... Drum roll please... And Buddy's chest X-ray came back CLEAN ( cue angelic voices singing;-)
We are very hopeful... Graduation Round of chemo is in 3 weeks! We will sit down with oncology vet to discuss various drugs available to increase odds that Buddy has kicked cancer to the curb! We will visit acupuncture therapist next week. Need to get through next 4-5 days without any medical setbacks first. Buddy's white count was slightly down , weight slightly up. (hey, he's a corgi - if he catches falling food mid air I can't help that!) We will also further look into a set offront wheels for Buddy after his final chemo. 
Well, so far, so good! We are past the chemo "bad" days- just clocking time to our LAST chemo in a couple of weeks! Buddy is a bit droopy- white count was a bit low on chemo day, imagine it is low again. Other than acting a bit too calm for my taste, Buddy is great though ( all things considered ). Fingers crossed , waiting for that last chemo! Am meeting acupuncture therapist tomorrow... Hope she will decide that treatment is a good idea for our Buddy.
Ok, this week officially STINKS! We are not giving up, but did receive some very bad news at Buddy's chemo appointment on Thursday. He has two visible, organizing lung tumors- metastasis from the original bone tumor. We switched chemo drugs on Thursday, in 3 weeks weeks the oncology vet will redo chest X-rays . If the tumors stabilize and don't grow or shrink we will do 5 more rounds of the chemo. If the tumors grow they will switch to a final drug to attempt to shrink the tumors. Only time will tell- we are still fighting this with all that we have. 

Buddy had a rough weekend - chemo made him vomit and he had to go to the vet on Sunday afternoon for iv fluids and a dose of injected Zofran to kick in for the oral tab he vomited up. Hopefully, he's turned the corner today.

When my guy's cancer got to his lungs, his behavior changed a lot because he was having problems breathing and that eventually brought us to our final decision for his comfort.  It was very hard but at that point, also very clear.

As someone else said, he'll fight right along with you.  Wishing you the very best and sending prayers for you all.

Buddy's sad situation forces me to address in advance how I might approach Pete's care should he ever develop a similar condition. It's almost too terrible to consider and yet a certainty in one way or another. I watched my dad slowly deteriorate with lung cancer until he finally refused any further treatment because of how sick it made him to continue it. He endured an awful lot before making that decision, unimaginable pain and unspoken fear. Would I put Petey through it for an uncertain attempt to save him? I can't answer that. I do hope Buddy pulls through and that all of you hold up throughout the treatment.

Douglas Preston

Ok, cancer stinks... Chemo stinks... Chemo induced bm's stink the most :-( Buddy has had another rough day. We were back at the vet today for iv fluids and meds. Not exactly what we hoped for. The good news is as soon as we got home I thought it was safe to let Buddy out of his crate to walk into the house without a leash. Apparently, that very pricey veterinarian office air has "cured" the chemo side effects! Buddy bolted to the next door neighbors yard and began playing with the neighbors dog! ( hey, I thought he was sick:-) As usual, I am learning to expect the unexpected with this cancer. I was overjoyed to see our corgi run and play... Hope that this means the worst of the chemo side effects have passed. Our regular vet has treated Buddy twice in 24 hours for "support care". She has warned me that if the vomiting or bm issues return she will provide Buddy with a port so that we can give home iv fluids at home. I have my fingers crossed, I pray that it won't become necessary. I looked at my 13 year old son-Buddy's boy- and realized that I have to do what ever it takes to try to fight this cancer. My son has a foot in two worlds, part boy who is too young to fully learn to be a man. The "boy" is counting on his family to fix his best Buddy. The glimpse I see of the man he will someday become is afraid that we might not. Somehow, this is going to be alright. It just will...
Buddy is on the mend! He is now keeping down rice and broth and has graduated to a small bowl of water, not just a few melting ice cubes. He is back to looking like a corgi - perky ears and wagging his behind! Best of all, he chased a squirrel up the fence today ! For the first time in 48 hours I am finally not scared to fall asleep or leave him for a few hours. He was not happy that I am making him sleep in the bathroom either. Had to tug him out from under his boys bed tonight . He seems like our Buddy once again. Now, I have to just keep believing that this crazy chemo is going to help his lung mets shrink before his next chest X-ray in a couple of weeks. His boy is happier too. Almost feels like our world got back on it's axis- hallelujah !

Dogs do live in the moment,  but bare in mind they also live off the love and support that family members provide.

That says a lot about you, I believe that Buddy knows you love him dearly and you've my respect and appreciation for the care that he is getting. I'd say do what you can, and live each day with him as if you don't have tomorrow...I know he will thank you for it in ways of unconditional love and faithfulness.

Glad he is in your care, he couldn't have asked for anything better. My blessings and prayers that maybe things get better for him.

Sincerely,

Don and Crew

That is so well put.  Thank you Don.  You can see how much of her heart Cyndy has invested in Buddy....and just think I am her mother-in-law.  My son picked a good one!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service