Has anyone started a book and found it to be so bad that they quit reading it?

Views: 133

Replies to This Discussion

This is interesting. I really enjoy Gaiman's own books - Coraline, The Graveyard Book, American Gods and especially The Sandman series but I think that I tried one of his recommendations also and found it to be tedious. I even find this with my favorite author, Stephen King (I know - he is my guilty pleasure) makes some truly boring choices.

How can we like an author's works but not like what he/she likes to read? I think that you are true when you talk about pretentiousness - it's almost like the Emperor's New Clothes - everyone is afraid to say that they just don't see the clothes - and, in fact, they don't exist.

You are doing just fine Alice - the rest of the world is moving way too fast.
Ha ha, thanks! :)
I'm embarrassed to admit that I couldn't get through two major classics: The Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera. Will I get kicked out of the book club now, haha. I agree with Alice that Anne Rice's Vampire books lost me after the first several. I also love Alice Hoffman and Anne Tyler, but their last ones were not up to par.
I can never get through the Nathaniel Hawthorne stuff. I have tried House of Seven Gables and the Scarlett Letter about a million times and always give up. Give me Jane Austen any time.
I make fun of myself constantly for reading the first 3 Twilight books & I'm sure I'll buy the 4th when it comes out in paperback. I did love Anne Rice's vampire series but her later books became tedious & I gave up. I do so love my vampire books. I'm blocking the name of the author that had 4 or 5 vampire stories at the top of the best seller list at the same time. If anyone knows who that author is and has read some of her vampire books, please let me know what you thought of them.

I recently read THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, by Stieg Larsson and loved it. It's a little slow at the start, but don't give up!

I recommended EDWARD SAWTELLE earlier but should have waited until I finished reading it. It is starting to lag.
Wait until you read the end of Edward Sawtelle! Yuck!
RE. Edward Sawtelle: I'm on pg. 183. I got the feeling when Edward met the stray ("Forte") that I should put the book in my public library's drop box. Should I stop now? Will this book break my heart? Or worse, bore me to tears?
Lucy, I have talked to people that loved E. Sawtelle so I guess you will have to decide for yourself. I just felt like I was wading up stream in mud and finally gave up.
I bought the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I hope it's good. Does the rest of the story make up for the slow start?
@ Alice- Absolutely the rest makes up for the slow start. I promise.
Are you thinking of Charlene Harris and her "Dead" series that has been turned into "True Blood" on HBO? If it is not this series, then it has to be Stephanie Myers "Twilight" series - not great literature but good enough for young adults - I even went to a book debut party at a local bookstore for this series with my teenage daughter - I was waiting for Harry Potter and she was all about Edward and Bella. It is a generational thing with that series.

I often read the end of a book now if I am not enjoying it - especially if it is for bookgroup. I am 50 now and life is too short to "have to" read something if I am not enjoying it. I have a Masters in Library Science and I give everyone permision to do this - it really is okay - there are a lot of overblown books out there or just books that are not your cup of tea. Put it down and go on to the next one.

Edward Sawtelle is one of the books chosen to be read in a couple of months - I will keep everyone's comments in mind. Now to go out and reserve the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
I meant Charlaine Harris and the Sookie Stackhouse series - they all have the word "dead" in them - "Dead in Dallas", etc.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service