So, I'm moving in December and really wanted to get a cat or kitten from the shelter. Okay, so two cats or kittens, really. Grissom is barely nine months right now, and he does incredible with other dogs. I mean, sure he thinks that everyone is blessed to be in his presence and that every dog ought to be honored to play with him.... but he does well.
He has never been exposed to cats. Never had any experience with them, and while I THINK he'd do well, I really have no idea. I have no friends or family with cats to expose him to, either. (Okay, so my sister-in-law has an evil cat, but I would NEVER expose any living thing to that animal. We don't call her devil cat for nothing.)
I was just wondering how other Corgis have done with cats. I'm a little nervous that he'll be just over a year old when the time comes, and I'd like him to have been exposed earlier, but not much I can do about it.

Views: 666

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check out my video: http://www.mycorgi.com/video/sibling-rivalry

That video will basically sum up my corgi's coolness with cats (and vice versa).
Miranda (cardigan) gives cats baths, provided they are nice to her. If they hiss she freaks and runs between my legs. Morgan our little pound puppy is extremely curious and vocal. He eaither barks with them or starts sneezing. Part of me wonders if he is mistaking the hiss for allergies or something. He will approach a hissing cat with in 3 feet, and then he starts his conversation. Other than that they are good.
Tucker is great with my 2 cats - he actually LOVES them - the cats are still learning to love him. Sometimes he gets a bit too excited and really wants to play with them and they run away or go up high but most of the time he controls himself and everyone coexists happily. If Tucker had his way they'd all be best friends and he would lick them, snuggle them and play with them all the time. I've had Tuck since March and slowly the cats are coming around to him. Lately they have been drinking out of his water bowl and laying on the bed/couch when he is also up there.

My cat Kitters was on my lap getting some love last week - Tucker was on the other end of the couch and slowly crept over and started licking her. She actually let him! That was a breakthrough becasue she was less accepting of him in the beginning and would hiss and swat at him. The younger cat - Smooshie - was braver right from the beginning. She has now started poking her head in his food bowl to see what he has- he lifts his head and waits while she checks it out- which amazes me. I have also come home to find her lounging in the gated off kitchen with him.

I was really worried about how everyone would get along when I got Tucker - especially because both of my cats do have their claws but I think things are going well and I see the cats getting more and more comfortable with having a dog around. I agree with Amy - introductions are important - everyones needs their space at first. Tucker spent a lot of time in the kitchen in the beginning because I didn't want the cats to feel like he was imposing on their territory.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service