I just got my second Pem Corgi (Christmas gift from my husband) and I'm very excited. Layne is almost 12 weeks old, and seems to be in good spirits. I do have a few concerns and a couple of questions that I was hoping to get answers to.

First of all, Layne's nose is very dry and has flakes of skin on it...sometimes his nose is slightly moist, but most of the time it is dry. Is this normal?

Also, I have noticed that Layne has fleas on him---I had a flea problem in my home, but was able to get it under control before bringing Layne here (we picked him up in Ohio over Christmas). My question is, what is the BEST product to use out of the following: Frontline Plus, Advantage or K9 Advantix? I have used Frontline Plus on my Corgi Molly, and quite frankly, I'm very unhappy with the results.

Layne also does this odd hiccupping-type thing, and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this with a puppy? It doesn't always happen after he's done eating or drinking---it's very random throughout the day. I'd say this occurs between 2-4 times per day.
I have to wait a few weeks before I can get Layne to the vet, which is why I'm asking these questions now. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!

Views: 311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No problem. :) Finn hiccuped a lot as a puppy and will still hiccup every so often. He didn't start with the inward sneezing until he was about 10 months old and it surprised me the first time.
Ellyse, FYI, we use Iam's and are happy with it. Personally I take a lot of the food stuff with a grain of salt. The breeder we used has been breeding and showing for several decades and she currently uses Eukanuba (which is the more expensive food made by the Iam's company) and has had excellent results, both in the ring and with many healthy happy litters.

Another breeder I know recently switched to Wellness, but acknowledges she knows others who use Eukanuba and their dogs are great. If you ask a dozen different breeders you will very well get a dozen different answers, and keep in mind what conflicting advice you would get if you asked a bunch of different people for food advice for your own diet! :-)
I know a breeder that feeds Purina One and another who mixes Wellness Core with Natural Balance. It's true, there will always be a lot of debate over what constitutes a good food.
Well, judging from the advertisements for both Chef Michaels and Rachael Ray's dog food lines, it looks good enough for ME to eat. I think the good food debate will be never ending, for both pets and their humans alike!
Thanks Beth! You're absolutely right...I do agree with you whole heartedly, I'm just trying to educate myself a little more on the different foods out there, pros and cons, and what's the healthiest food I can get. Although I'm well aware that no food is going to be perfect, Molly has packed on some pounds over the past 6 months or so, so I'm trying to get her regulated on a more sound and balanced diet (I wish I could take my own advice, actually!) I've never tried Eukanuba, but I do know that it's prized in the show world and has pleased many breeders. I appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions, and hopefully both Molly and Layne will benefit from whatever I choose to put them on.
I know what you mean! I thought Layne could've possibly had kennel cough too---my Molly had it when I first got her, but I got her from a pet store. I'm glad to hear Biscuit didn't have it though. Layne was actually doing his hiccuping thing today, and I think he might've had some backward sneezing going on yesterday...his poor little face was all scrunched up and he looked irritated (of course I thought it was adorable though;). You're right, it IS confusing with all the different foods out there...I actually put Molly on Purina One because a lot of people I've talked to said it's pretty good and reliable---she has NEVER finished her food as fast as when I first gave her the Purina One...so I'm guessing she loves it! I believe it's the Lamb and Rice formula. And oh man, that's a really good point that you made about checking into where the food comes from. The problems with Chinese imports has been very scary, and I would never buy my dog food if it came from there.
I don't know if this will help but Lola, my corgi, has extremely dry skin, so not only do I use the fish oil every week, I also avoid any topical medication for fleas. I have been using Sentinal for almost two years now and it was been great. She never gets fleas and has had no worm problems whatsoever, and I have never noticed any side effects. It's a very safe drug as well and as long as your house doesn't have fleas, then this might be a good treatment. It is a pill you give once a month and averages around $70.00 per six months. It's the best long term medication I've found.
Hope this helps.
KJ
Thanks Kristina---I'd probably consider the likes of Sentinal and Comfortis if I didn't already have a flea problem. It doesn't seem to be as bad as in the summer, but we've also had a very chilly winter so far so I'm sure that plays a huge part. And $70.00 for six months? That's well worth it, especially since I paid about $50 for three months for both Frontline and Revolution. Not a bad deal at all. And fish oil sounds like a great idea...I didn't realize how dry my Molly's skin was until I was brushing her. Thanks for the advice!
Anytime, glad I could help. And enjoy your new little friend!
KJ
Thanks! Sometimes I'm convinced that he may a wolf in sheep's clothing though---he keeps me on my toes but I'm enjoying it.
Adora is 12 weeks old as well. I found that her nose isn't always moist like one would expect, But it never has been to dry that it flakes, my vet said it is nothing big just make sure she drinks more water. Adora when through a phase of hiccupping as well ,just like yours, though as the weeks go by she hicups less and less.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service