I can't get my sweet little puppy to stop eating her own poop!! She doesn't even give me time to clean it up = it's so gross!! Can anyone help me? I feed her 3-4 small meals a day of high grade expensive puppy food... I'm definitely not underfeeding her or giving her non-nutritious food.

Views: 513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes it is usually with the spices or the meat department. Let us know how you make out : )
Add Adolph's meat tenderizer to her food. It makes the poop taste really bad. Works great! (My old vet in North Carolina told us about it years ago....)
Thanks I will!! And I'll definitely update everyone (:
pineapple is really good but if that doesn't work there is something called Forbid. You can get it from your vet. You add it to her food for about 5 days and it makes her poo really really bitter so the theory is by day five of trying to eat it it is just sooooo gross she stops doing it. It works REALLY well and is really cheap. you may be able to get it online too, I don't think its prescription
My pup did that when he was pretty young and seemed to grow out of it. Hopefully its just a phase! *fingers crossed*
** update ** tried the pineapple and though I thought it was working for a couple days, it turns out it really wasn't. I can't stand this whole thing, I just really need it to stop. How can I play and love my dog as much as I want if all I can think about is her eating her poop. It's too gross for me. I'm going to try the tenderizer next. Though I'm not hopeful because she likes the stuff that is supposed to deter dogs from biting things.
Hi Katie, If your ultimate goal is to have GiGi go outside, the best thing you can do is get rid of the poop mat altogether, it slows down the potty training and confuses GiGi. Look into bell training and put a bell on the door to go #1 & #2 and ring that every time you take her out.
While I agree with you & will try that in the future; I do not always have the ability to bring her outside every time she needs to go. I live in an apartment building and it can be a little bit of a walk just to get her outside & when she needs to go sometimes she can't even hold it long enough to make it out.

For now I will keep the potty pads, but as she can hold her bowels longer (it seems like she's already able to hold much longer than she did when I first got her) I will try the bell method. I know it works for my cousin's corgi. Thanks for the tip.
In the winter our dogs love eating poop! POOPSICLES! :) Ah who am I kidding, they enjoy it in the summer...and the spring... and the fall. They dont eat their own but other dogs (only certain ones too).
The only reason I worry is for diseases.... but the grossness factor does not bother me that much. Some people are just horrified when they see it, like I mean horrified that I am not throwing a major tantrum at them.
Poop eating habits are the hardest to get rid of... stick with it when they are young for sure because its brutal to break when they get older...BUT dont stress too much! :) LOTS of dogs do it...
It's weird because as of yet, she's shown no interest in other dog's poop - just her own. I personally feel it is somewhere between a tasty mid-meal snack & a way to get my attention. I know I probably shouldn't freak out as much as I do because it is common with dogs - I just think it's quite out of hand.

For example, the other morning she broke out of her crate (I guess I didn't close it properly) and went to the bathroom, then ate it and when I put her back in her crate she threw it up. You have no idea how many times I gagged trying to clean the poop throwup!! I just gagged thinking about it!

As of right now, I'm trying medicine to put in with her food, which is safer than the meat tenderizer.
Nasty Habit tablets are the answer. It's the only product that I've used that really works.
@ Katie & GiGi - Try Nasty Habit tablets. I give it to both my dogs, to cover my bases, but I think only Rafa needs it. It's been a miracle for me because it is quite a NASTY HABIT, even if it's a common one. Let me know how it works for you.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service