I have a good general understanding of potty training so this thread is not about that.

What I have noticed, though, is that some people on the forum take their pups out, do their business, give them a treat & praise and then come straight back inside. However, the method I read about and have been using warns NOT to come back inside immediately because the dog will learn to hold it in order to play outside for longer and then pee/poo inside. Both Victoria Stilwell and Ian Dunbar advocate this.

However, as an addendum to the method I've been using, you're supposed to put the puppy back into the crate if he does not go and then take him out 15 minutes later, which I think would curtail the pottying inside (unless if they are too young to hold it in the crate...)

Which method have people been using that has actually worked for them (i.e. your dogs are definitely 100% housetrained now)? Also, what is "inside" -- inside the crate, inside the pen, inside the entire house? Would letting them have freedom in an area inside the house instead of letting them walk around the yard have the same effect?

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see. Nellie sometimes will prefer to go straight inside after pottying (it's more apparent at night, mealtimes or if she needs water), other times will just root around and try to eat grass and dirt which is annoying to me, since she'll pick up big clumps of grass or sticks and try to bring them into the house. Do you think a good compromise would be playing a game of tug or something, so that she's still outside and associates pottying with playing outside, without the hassle of me pulling her away from everything and trying to take stuff out of her mouth?

Also, when I was asking about "inside", I was actually wanting a clarification of what inside means in "don't bring them directly inside after they potty". Free run of a room after pottying is also a treat to Nellie since she doesn't get it often, but I don't know if SHE considers it as an alternative to staying a few minutes outside.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service