"If it's too good to be true, it probably is"

I remember thinking how perfect it was that Ziggy gets along great with Skittles, his kitty brother, when we first brought him home, especially since I was so caught up in being able to get a Corgi that I forgot to ask if he was cat friendly (I know, I know, very stupid mistake.)

Well luckily after a quick conversation with Katie, whom I got him from, it turns out he likes cats more than dogs, he LOVES cats, even.

Well, that seemed a bit like overkill as he was just ignoring all three of the kitties that lived at my mom's, but I figured, hey, it's just because they don't like him. (Swatting at him, hissing, etc.)

Things were just plain awesome with that. Then Skittles started to come around and get curious, because he realized that Ziggy wasn't going to harm him.. Well, as things have gone along.. I am starting to fear that this is no longer the case.

It started off with Ziggy just didn't want Skittles near him while in the bed. Progressed to where most of the time he didn't want Skittles on the bed period. (Of course, we tried to correct that by holding Skittles on the bed with us and petting them both, making Ziggy focus on us rather than Skittles, etc.. But Skiski was not liking it or cooperating with us, because he was frightened.) Then it got to the point of where if we are loving on Skittles and he's on our lap he's death glaring at Skittles, even when we try to distract him, etc.

Well today was it. Skittles was on his way to the litter box, minding his own business, didn't even look at Ziggy, but had to walk a few feet in front of him and Ziggy lunged and barked and even snapped at him, if Skiski wouldn't have been so quick to bolt, I believe Ziggy would probably have caused some damage.

I would like some help dealing with this, because we can't have this going on, Skittles deserves to be able to be wherever he wants, it's his home too. And I can't risk Skittles getting hurt. I worry that if Ziggy does hurt Skittles, with it being a risk for Skittles' health and having hubby being part of the decision making process, that Ziggy will probably have to find a new home again, and that's something I DO NOT want.

I know sometimes these problems can be stopped and that's why I am asking tips now, because as of this point, I can just keep them in seperate rooms when we aren't home and be as alert as possible until this problem is fixed when we are. I know that with the right training Ziggy can get over this and we can all live happily together and Ziggy will be with us forever, so please, share any and all tips, or helpful articles, or whatever you have. Thanks.

Views: 321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that leashing him can help.  In the long term, you want to train him to look at you whenever you say his name (do this using treats when there are no distractions, gradually build up to distractions).  Once he's had lots of practice you can then say his name whenever he starts to focus on the cat.  Use the leash to correct him if he ignores you, then instantly praise him when he looks (even if the leash made him do it).  The idea is to condition him to look at you instead of chasing, and then over time you fade rewarding him for looking at you and you've basically extinguished the chasing.  

I have only had Becca home for two weeks. Things have been going well between her and the cat so far. The only issues have been crate and toy possessiveness by Becca. I established cat zones in each room from the beginning. Mokey has high points available to her. The bedroom and laundry rooms were declared cat safety zones with gates across the door. I added a litter box to the bedroom, just in case. (She hasn't used it.)

I have been using a temporary fix for the crate issue. If Becca is in her crate, it gets covered. Mokey has now gone into it twice while Becca has watched. Becca gave me a "What the.." look, then just went in and poked her with her nose. I feed them in separate rooms and am careful if they are both out while I cook. If Becca growls at Mokey when she has a toy, I take the toy and put it on top of the fridge. It has only happened a few times. Becca is also praised and treated for proper cat behavior.

I have been waiting and watching for a problem. Becca had never been around cats before I got her. So far she is being submissive to the cat. Even rolling over and showing Mokey her belly. On Mokey's part she has been better than expected. She has only hissed and fluffed, the death stares only lasted a day or two. Mokey kept to the high ground until she felt comfortable. Now she is trying to get Becca to play. Our only place of contention is the couch. Becca had always been allowed on the couch before I got her. I'm working on whether it can be shared space or not. Right now if Becca starts to stare at the cat when Mokey hops up, Becca is made to get off. High ground goes to the cat.

I think having cat zones is important. Do you have high ground for Skittles in each room? You may also want to find a spot for another "safe" litter box in case he can't get to his current one. Litter box issues can be awful to fix once they begin.

Marcie, I smiled as I read your post. Who can quibble with success? :-)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service