Ever since we first met Chewie, he's had a problem with really bad tears and tear marks.  No matter how many times I wipe them, two minutes later, it's just as difficult.  Has anyone ever had a similar issue before?

Views: 273

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When we got him, he was on Royal Canin.  We switched him to Blue Buffalo and then the vet told us to switch him to Science Diet Healthy Development for Puppies since his stool was soft on Blue.  I don't know which food to put him on that could possible help with his tears but keep some consistency to his stool as well.
I've put Yuki on Taste of the Wild (which is grain free) and he is doing well on it.  So is 4-month-old Ellie.  There's also Wellness Core, which is a little lower in protein, I think, (should help with the soft stool) but still grain-free, and Yuki enjoyed that as well.  Each dog is different, though, so it's possible he would have the same problem with it.  You could always ask your vet for grain-free recommendations.
Thank you.  I'm heading out to get him some new food today, I'll have to check those out.
My Emma has the same problem.  Different seasons and foods haven't made a difference.  My vet said that dogs' tear ducts empty into the nasal passages, but sometimes the ducts aren't connected right so the tears come out the eyes instead and that's probably what she has.  The only real solution is surgery, but since it's really a cosmetic problem I wasn't going to put her through that.  There's a powder you can put on their food that keeps the tears from turning dark on the fur, but it made her sick so it wasn't worth it for us.  Other people have said it worked for their dogs though.
The tears don't bother me at all either, he's handsome even with his crybaby eyes :)  I just want to make sure that there's not an underlying problem that needs to be addressed for his health.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service