Toby tore up Living Room and Kitchen. What Happened?

Hey everyone, we decided to let Toby our three year old Pembroke out during the day. We put up anything he could get into so he couldn't do anything. Well the past two days he was just fine. Didn't have any accidents or anything and he was in there alone for about 10 hours and was just fine.  Today he was in there for about 9 hours and my roommate got home and he had taken the bag out of the trash can and tore it apart and threw all the trash out all over the kitchen, and our leather recliner had the top half essentially tore open with fluff everywhere. So my roomy put him in his crate and we picked the place up. I guess I just don't know what to do. I don't want to keep him in his crate all day because he won't be very happy, but I can't risk him tearing up more stuff. What do you guys think we should do? We thought about getting a gate and keeping him in the hallway where there's nothing he can tear up during the day and just give him food and water and such. Does this seem like a good idea?

Views: 592

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wasn't going to chime in because I am a first time Corgi owner, but I was amazed.  Poopdeck is going to be three in June and we have not had any issues for a very long time.  After reading Beth's reply, I thought perhaps we have been lucky because I live close to work and was able to come home every day at noon.  First we crated, then we left him roam in a safe room.  Now he has the run of the house and has not chewed up anything since last December. ( 2010 Christmas table decor).  Perhaps it was the anticipation of someone popping in during the day, that has helped with the chewing.  I also agree with Sam, a tired pup is a happy owner!

Our dogs were crated for some years before we got comfortable leaving them out unattended.  This is better for dog-alarm security (they do not bark at intrusions when crated).  They have lots of their own toys, and somehow know what to destroy and what is not theirs (there were a few mistakes).  Baby-proof your house, remove temptations.  Our garbage is scrupulously out of reach http://www.mycorgi.com/photo/food-bags-can-kill?xg_source=activity ; we almost lost our first to a snack bag suffocation; someone here recently did (Teddy).  They WILL get any food that is within reach, including stuff on countertops.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service