So, back a few months ago, Waffle came down with a GI infection that resolved itself after a couple of weeks on an antibiotic.  During the course of trying to find out what was wrong, they discovered he had back pain and labeled him as having IVDD (and hip dysplasia) because he was a corgi.  But, the X-rays showed no blown disc or any real problems with his back.  They prescribed me a pain medication (Tramadol), but he has never shown any pain in his back end so I have never given any to him.  Fast forward a month or two, or three, and he was on the couch with me and I did the "test" the vets performed to see if there was any pain.  The "test" involved squeezing each vertebrae and gauging his reaction.  I got only a minor reaction out of the spot the vets had diagnosed IVDD or something like it, but it was still more of a reaction than the rest of his back.  

Tonight, I put Waffle on our kitchen table so I could photograph him and draw conformation lines as per this thread, and I noticed something curious.  Corgis are supposed to have a flat topline, and Waffle clearly doesn't.  In fact, the very crest of the rise near his butt is almost exactly where his back hurts.  Is this a coincidence, you think?  What does it mean, if not? :0  Also, here is an X-ray because I paid for it and I am going to post it in a relevant topic, darn it.  Of course, the X-ray isn't curved in the same place as the photo, and isn't even facing the same direction. 

Views: 3464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know his topline has never been completely flat and never will be, and I'm not bothered by that, I just noticed the curves coincided with his back pain. I'm not going back to that vet (at Virginia Tech vet school!!) because they jumped to conclusion about hip dysplasia from an X-ray that was not even focused on his hips, and corgis look like they have bad hips anyway.  They were much more concerned about his [non-existent] hip dysplasia than about his back which was clearly in some sort of discomfort... :\

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service