Hey, friends!

So, I have the opportunity to adopt a 6mo-old Cardigan (female) from a breeder I live near.  I would absolutely love to have her, as Gutie gets lonely during the day while I'm working and he'd love a playmate the rest of his life!  I'm going to go visit her (Margo) on Wednesday to see how compatible her and Gutie are.

If all goes well, how do you guys juggle having two dogs in your life?  I already have a second crate from when Gutie was younger, I already have the toys, the chews, the food, the preventative care.  I have everything I need for a second dog EXCEPT the time off that I'd really want.  If all goes well during our meeting on Wednesday, I'd pick her up next Tuesday and have 5 whole days off with her, getting her adjusted to her new home.  After that, I would have to crate her 4hrs at a time while I work (with potty breaks/walks every 4hrs, I work 8hr days, but sometimes 10hr days).

Gutie (my 1.5 year old Pem) is fully potty trained and is responsible enough to be uncrated during the day as long as he has chews to keep him occupied.  Margo, however, would be crated because I don't yet know her behaviors.  I have a feeling she would be crated like that everyday for a few months until I felt she was ready.  Is that okay to do?  Once she is fully potty trained in her new home and knows the rules, I would let her have free roam to play with Gutie.

I really want another dog and I think Gutie would absolutely LOVE to have another dog around.  We're very active and exercise daily with fetch, hikes, swimming, walks, etc.  I'm not worried about getting her exercised, because I have access to a fenced-in area that they can just run, run, run, off-leash (however, I DON'T have a fenced-in yard of my own, but the dog park is just down the road by 5 minutes).  I just want to know: is 5 days off with her enough time before I start crating her?  She is ALREADY crate trained, so that helps tremendously.  5 days would be fast and furious, but I can't afford taking anymore time off.  The beauty of it is that I have a set Wed/Thurs off and my other half has Mon/Tues, so she would only be crated Fri/Sat/Sun.

What are your thoughts?

P.S.  The reason Margo is seeking re-homing in the first place is because the breeder was hoping to show her and kept her until they could find their Cardigan mentors to evaluate her for show.  She didn't meet showing expectations, but otherwise she's super healthy.

Views: 269


You need to be a member of MyCorgi.com to add comments!

Join MyCorgi.com

Comment by Beth on June 3, 2016 at 12:07pm

Good for him!  Sounds like your husband chose the quality of his life over a promotion.  There are so many reasons to do that, the dogs being just one.  :-)

Comment by Anna Morelli on June 3, 2016 at 11:55am

Now that's LOVE!!!!

Comment by Linda on June 3, 2016 at 10:37am

Now that is one of the best reasons to keep that man around!!!!

Comment by Vicky Hay on June 3, 2016 at 9:22am

Wow! That guy's a keeper!! The hubby, I mean...dog has yet to prove herself. :-D

Comment by Chelsea Meredith on June 3, 2016 at 9:04am

News flash!  My hunny surprised me!  He declined the promotion he was offered so he could have a flexible schedule this summer!  We're going to see Margo on the 12th.  If all goes well, we will have a new addition.  :)  Thanks again everyone!

Comment by Linda on June 2, 2016 at 7:03pm

I'm sorry.  True, if not everyone is on board with this decision it is best to wait.  I am a firm believer in fate...there will be the absolute perfect pup waiting for you when you are ready. 

Comment by Chelsea Meredith on June 2, 2016 at 9:51am

Thank you, everyone!  Unfortunately, my other half isn't on-board with this decision anymore.  He was at first, but he just started a new position at work and feels it would be too much stress on us and the dogs to bring in a new pet at this time.  Hopefully another opportunity will present itself when things settle down a little in the fall.  There are a few breeders in-state that are planning winter litters and that would be perfect.  :)

Comment by Linda on May 31, 2016 at 10:48pm

I'm on the got for it bench!  Corgis are like potato chips....you can't have just one.  I agree with Anna, you've already had good success with Gutie. 

Comment by Anna Morelli on May 31, 2016 at 3:49pm

The greatest prediictor of future success is past success.  You did really well with your Gutie and you have considered all the aspects, so all is in your favor.  Five days off will be enough to provide some adjustment.  I would bring something with the scent of her home to  place in her crate and do some crating ( where you leave the house for an hour or two, simulating what will be the situation when you work ) during those first days.  I would also be cautious of chews, which could become an issue.

Comment by Beth on May 31, 2016 at 3:05pm

Agreed on the x-pen!  Wouldn't have a Corgi puppy without one.

Rescue Store

Stay Connected


FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...



© 2019   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service