Chloe swallowed 1 200 mg. Ibuprofen tablet

an ibuprofen tablet spilled on the florr, before I could say leave it Chloe swallowed one. I called the E/R vet and left a message as directed. Will one tablet harm her?

Views: 3822

Comment

You need to be a member of MyCorgi.com to add comments!

Join MyCorgi.com

Comment by Julia on May 16, 2010 at 9:40pm
For what it's worth, my Springer Spaniel puppy once swallowed 200 Advil tablets. Yes, he ate the whole bottle. He threw up most of it, I think. The vet gave him a drug to relax his stomach from spasms. I don't remember the details of what we watched for, but he received no further treatment. We may have tested his liver enzymes later, but I'm not sure.

He is now 14 years old. He survived it better than the carpet did.

Julia
Comment by Chloe's parent Liz on May 16, 2010 at 9:33pm
Update- Chloe is doing fine! I called the Poison Control Hotline, and they did give animal advice! The person told me had I calledimmediately they would have made her throw up/ E/R vet said best to bring her in, but she is not acting abnormal at all. I will be calling our regular vet tomorrow. Thanks for caring.
Comment by Susan Stanton on May 16, 2010 at 8:09pm
I sure hope your pup is ok. I would think one tab wouldn't be toxic to a 25ish pound dog, but best you called the vet. How is she doing?

I have a Corgi who will eat ANYTHING, including other's medicine, wood putty, etc., so I have the following things always handy:
Hydrogen Peroxide (the kind you get to pour on wounds, NOT for hair dying), and a kiddie medicine syringe. You can give her .5 ccs (or half a teaspoon or so) every 10-15 minutes 3, 4 times until she vomits. Works like a charm. Just be sure it's something you want her to throw up -- you wouldn't want her throwing up anything sharp or caustic.

Also: "ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
We are your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card."

The hotline does NOT charge you until you decide to get a vet's advice. The tech will talk to you for a bit first. ALSO, if by any chance you are paying the annual fee for the HomeAgain Microchip, check your benefits. I have free access to this hotline because I pay $20/yr for the chip.

I tell you, talking to the Hotline about a jar of wood putty eaten about 10 on Christmas Eve allowed me to be peacefully asleep when Santa arrived.

Let us know how Chloe is doing!
Comment by Natalie, Lance &Tucker on May 16, 2010 at 7:27pm
Any update? Hows Chloe doing?
Comment by pat_m on May 16, 2010 at 10:24am
There are a bunch of Web Siter on the issue google "ibuprofen dogs" Looks OK but I would side with caution. You did the right thing to call the vet - maybe a Possin Contrl Center
Comment by Cindi on May 16, 2010 at 9:56am
A small bit of peroxide down the throat will make her throw it up.

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

 

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service