We live in an apartment complex on the second floor. The people below us like to garden (in pots) and I sincerely believe that they were not aware of the danger coffee grounds, sometimes used in gardening, pose to puppies.
This past weekend Kaylee woke us up and, while drowsy, we took her out to the back of out building. Kaylee rooted a bit and then looked like she was chewing something. My husband and I quickly tried to get whatever it was out of her mouth. It was a bunch of coffee grounds, likely used but we were still worried. She probably ate a few teaspoons of the stuff before we could stop her. We were expecting it to be sticks, poo or something.
A phone call and subsequent page from an emergency vet at Virginia Tech later, we find out that fortunately that amount will not be too toxic, even if they were fresh coffee grounds, but we should expect vomiting and diarrhea. She did not recommend inducing vomiting. If they were used grounds, the risk of illness was even less. She did become more hyper than normal for a bit, but not digestive problems.
Today, a few days later, Kaylee is doing and showing no symptoms. So, please be careful with your rooting pups, coffee grounds and call your emergency vet for quick poisoning help. They will help even if you don't bring your pup in to the office and pay the emergency fee.