Here is what I learned from yesterday's interior painting...1.) Oil based paint fumes are toxic to animals. I thought I would have to take Amy to the emergency vet with neurological and emotional distress. 2.) The burners on your gas stove burn the paint fumes and turn them into something that smells like kerosene and makes you think you are about to die. 3.) Corgis are like furry cockroaches and none of the above seemed to bother them.
Seriously, we had a scary night with our mix-breed after the painters left. I had Amy and Twinkie in the basement in crates. Logan was in his crate in the garage. I guess the fumes might have settled in the lower lever being heavier than air (?) and when I brought them up Amy was going nuts. She was not walking correctly (lifting her front legs too high and her back legs were sliding out from under her. She was crying very loudly and stopping every few steps to chew whichever foot she could get into her mouth. I gave her one of her tranquilizers and call my mom (aka Crazy Dog Lady). I put Amy in her Thunder Shirt and put she and Twinkie in the garage. I made Amy a scrambled egg to see if she would eat. She ate the egg and started to calm down. When she came in she was walking fine and wanted to eat more. All of the dogs kept going with the foot licking. Today the painters are back and all of the dogs are in the garage with the door open and plenty of fresh air. Whew!