So almost 2 months ago we had a family emergency and had to leave minnesota. We had to rush by train and had to leave pickles behind with a baby sitter (fellow corgi lover) until we could fly him home. We have been trying to fly him out but the airlines will not do it because the weather is too cold for animal cargo. It's breaking my heart as he is my best friend and my therapy dog as well. 

Currently my friend said he can drive as far as denver colorado to get him here but being that I don't drive and have health issues, I can't get out there to get him. I have been in touch with a corgi rescue page on facebook but am having no luck yet. I'm trying to find someone or an organization that can help transport a corgi from denver colorado to sacramento CA. My friend can only do this either the last weekend in november, or the 15th-16th of dec. All I want for xmas is my furry son, my friend, and my world to come back home to me. If there are any organizations or anyone knows of someone who may be able to help with transporting, please please please let me know. thank you. 

Views: 377


You need to be a member of to add comments!


Comment by Shippo, Gidget & Sheldon on November 25, 2012 at 4:56am

Have you looked into United's Petsafe?  I didn't see anything about weather restrictions other than for the short-nosed breeds so you may have to call them.  Their rates may be less than what you're looking at too.  10-50 pounds is listed as $219 and 51-70 pounds is $279, depending on how much your dog plus the crate will weigh but will be less than $350.  The cabins they ship animals in is pressurized the same as passenger cabins.  You can also track the flight online as well.  My new puppy was flown with United and I thought they did a good job.

Comment by Katie Campbell on November 24, 2012 at 3:48pm

Thank you peggy! Yes at the moment we should have it covered, but If it ends up being more than expected I will let you all know. Thank you all so much. I can't wait to have him home. I will update everyone as soon as I know when he will come home and when  he gets back! 

Comment by Peggy Woods on November 24, 2012 at 1:03pm

I was gonna say - I've worked in airports so I knew the threshhold was less than 45. Glad it's working out! If you still need a few bucks to send him let us know - we all will rally 'round & get your pup back home!

Comment by Katie Campbell on November 22, 2012 at 12:51pm

I did some major digging around and found out that he actually can fly! I am super relieved. whoever our friend talked to didn't know what they were talking about. So now its just an issue of trying to raise about 350.00 to get him flown (the friend is covering the vet bills before hand to get his health certificate). I will let you all know when I finally get some money together and get him home. My mother in law is going to take back my xmas to help pay and I am going to try and sell some art via facebook to raise funds. thank you all so very much for sticking your neck out for me. I appreciate the effort on all your parts <3

Comment by Peggy Woods on November 22, 2012 at 11:13am

heh - my dog goes swimming when it's 38 deg & there is still some ice on the pond. Also see about getting him on a mid-day flight when it's a bit warmer. 45 deg shouldn't be a threshhold - jeez (well except for dogs like whippets & such) :)

Comment by Katie Campbell on November 21, 2012 at 10:44pm

thank you all so much for the feedback. I dont actually have much money at all as I don't work (health issues) and am kinda struggling. My husband just started work though and i said i may be able to just take anything he was going to get me for xmas and put that money towards gas money. @peggy, I will let you know asap If this could be a possibility. At the moment I found he may still be able to fly if he gets a paper from the vet saying he is ok in under 45 degree weather (he was raised in MN in the snow and he is great in cold weather lol) so we are seeing if that is a possibility first.  @manda and molly, Thank you so very much. If it comes to a point where that is needed I would super appreciate it. @chloe, Thank you, but he can't go by rail. we can get to sacramento and get him, i know that much. We may even be able to get up to sparks nevada needed be. I will keep you all updated as soon as I know more from the baby sitter. he is the one who will either fly him if that can work out or will be driving to colorado (if i can find someone to meet up with him) Thank you all so very much. I really appreciate you all reaching out and trying to help me get him home. 

Comment by Chloe's parent Liz on November 21, 2012 at 7:32pm

Can Pickles go by rail?  I am in Sacramento area and either could meet him at train station and bring to you? 

Comment by manda & molly on November 21, 2012 at 6:52pm
I'd be willing to donate some gas money next week!
Comment by Peggy Woods on November 21, 2012 at 5:11pm

I drive a diesel that gets stupendous fuel economy so it won't cost me a ton - cheaper than flying :) and maybe we can get someone from Sacto to meet me in NV?? kickin around ideas...

Comment by Peggy Woods on November 21, 2012 at 5:08pm

I live near Denver & have family near Sacramento. PM me & I will do what I can to help. I just drove there 2 weeks ago - darn! I will be glad to help!!! 

Rescue Store

Stay Connected


FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...



© 2021   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service