So like every 2-3 months McCoy tear the hell out of something when I leave. Its not like me leaving is something new, and I am never gone long. I have anywhere from 2-4 Drs. appointments a week for various things. Then I usually come right home, and its been like this since I have adopted him. 90% of the time he is fine and just sleeps, but the other 10% he tears the carpet, tries to chew through the gate, chews the linoleum, etc. I'm not leaving any differently than I do any other day.
I used to crate him but its not happening often enough where I feel like I 100% have to. And I don't think I should have too, since crate training isn't meant to be a forever thing. At least thats what I have been told, and he is over a year and a half.
I treat him when I come in and nothing is destroyed. I ignore him and pick up when something is, or depending on how large the mess is, he has to go outside so he isn't in the way.
The worst part is that I rent my home so damages are added to the rent, and my landlord currently has to replace two carpets because even if he is gated, and the gate is snug against the floor, and there should be no possible way for him to even touch the carpet, he is somehow pulling the carpet under the gate and pulling it to piece.
This isn't like an area rug I am talking about either, its a carpet that is tacked down to the floor for like a living-room and bedroom.
Someone mentioned putting deodorant on the carpet, or what ever he is chewing up, and I did do that and it worked for a little while, but it comes down to having to put him back in the crate, which I'm not really comfortable doing because there is only a 1/10 chance anything will even happen. To me it feels like I am punishing him before he even commits the act.
Are there any other options?