Raising Awareness to Something You'd Never Think to be Aware of...

Well after looking through my blog posts, I never actually explained how my beloved Murphy died.  I would first like to explain, Murphy was a good dog, he never got into anything, never tore things apart, came the very minute I called for him, could do any trick in the book, etc. 

However, one night my former boyfriend and I fell asleep with the bedroom door open.  The dogs were wandering around the house and without us knowing, got into the trash.  Murphy got out a plastic frozen chicken bags and took it into the office where his bed lay under my desk.  There he proceeded to suffocate on the bag and by the time Steve had found him, he had been dead for several hours.

Never did I ever even think about that.  I never once thought about worrying about Murphy near the trash, but I hope that by sharing this tragic story I can help prevent further accidents.  Since then I have gotten trashcans with lids that shut, and I cut the bottom of all plastic bags I throw away. After my friends heard of this they too have taken steps to prevent it, when I took Murphy to get cremated the vet told me it happens more often than you would ever think.  My mother's friend told me of her friend's German Shepherd dying the exact same way. 

So everyone out there, I know we all love our dogs, we have a whole dang website dedicated to them, please make sure you think of the unthinkable, take precautions everywhere! 

Views: 22

Comment

You need to be a member of MyCorgi.com to add comments!

Join MyCorgi.com

Comment by Emily Trupiano on July 22, 2011 at 9:42pm
I'm so sorry about your loss, and thank you for sharing! I will also start cutting my bags now. I also bought a trash can with a lock on the lid.
Comment by Ellen Andersen on July 21, 2011 at 8:56pm
Oh hon, I'm so sorry.  Thank you for sharing, though!
Comment by Cindi & Twinkie on July 21, 2011 at 7:51pm
Your tragic story is a real eye-opener.  Thank you so much for sharing.  I am so sorry for your loss.
Comment by Sam Tsang on July 21, 2011 at 6:10pm
Thank you for sharing Emily,  bag suffocation have taken away several corgis on this site :(
Comment by Bradly and Jenny Boesen on July 21, 2011 at 5:51pm
Thank you for that warning, and so sorry for your loss.  I know our puppy likes getting into the bathroom trash (luckily our kitchen one with all the bags has a lid).
Comment by Beth on July 21, 2011 at 4:38pm
I am so sorry for what happened!   I have tied up or cut up all plastic bags (even in lidded cans) since the first time I got a cat;  cats like to crawl inside bags and can suffocate.  Thanks for the warning.
Comment by Bev Levy on July 21, 2011 at 4:18pm
Thanks for sharing such a sad story. We all need reminders to be as careful as possible with our curious little dogs. RIP Murphy!
Comment by Jennifer Markley on July 21, 2011 at 3:53pm
OMG...I would never have thought of this. I am so sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing your story, you probably just saved hundreds of dogs lives...

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

 

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service