I just had knee surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. I'm up and moving around now, but am still on crutches. My corgi is only 6 months old, and he is still really full of energy. He likes to steal socks and papers. I can't keep up with him now to get the "forbidden" item away, and can't discipline him properly. I'm getting really frustrated and don't know what to do. I feel bad locking him up all day, but I don't know what else to do. Should I keep him outside or send him to a friend's? I have about 3 1/2 weeks of recovery time left, maybe a little more. I am married, but hubby can be gone from 10-13 hrs a day. Please help.

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

where are you? just wondering if one of us corgi owners/lovers are nearby; if you were
near me, in Richmond VA I would help you...my Court would Love a playmate!
Take care of the knee!
eila
Thanks for the offer. We do have some friends here in town who have offered to help. I just feel bad sending him away for that long.
Samantha,
I understand how you feel! I had to send my precious Oakley to her grandparents for six weeks. It was ROUGH... but honestly, it was rough on me not her. Sure she probably went through some anxiety but they adjust well. I would consider this as crucial time in a puppy's learning curve. The behavior he picks up now will stick. Sending him to a friend's may be the best option. If you choose that route let me give you a quick heads up. We had to leave Oakley in a kennel for two weeks when we moved to Enid (my husband is in the Air Force and they don't recognize pets as family memembers... or at all). We went and visited her each day. However, each day was a little harder on her. She began to eat less and developed stress diarrhea... now the vet didn't bother telling us this or I would have payed the extra money to stay in a hotel off base. But just know that visiting your pup may be stressful on him and watch for the warning signs. I'm sure it will be much better in a friends house than in the kennel. By all means DO visit him though! For your sake and his. Another thing to keep in mind... knees in recovery (and in general) are fairly fragile. Sending him to doggy camp at a friends may be better for your sake too! Thanks for being a concerned corgi owner!
I think keeping him with friends is the best thing too. At 6 months, your pup is entering adolesence, so he is about to start being even more hyper for the next several months (and test the rules). I would take the time to teach your friends any training techniques you have started, and hope they will spend time with him for a couple of short training sessions a day.

Is there a way that your husband might drop him off with friends and bring him home in the evening, kind of like doggie day care with the friends?

Sorry to hear about your knee surgery. Here's wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!
Another vote for a mini vacation at friend's place :) your pup is gonna have a wonderful time. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service