I've read a few discussions on here, but my Cardi, Mason, had two ears down when I found him at a shelter. Then, for a week he had one ear up and sometimes two, and as of last night he has two ears down. I REALLY don't want to tape them, especially since he is getting over kennel cough and going through all these puppy vaccinations that he never got since he was dumped there. He's 4 months old and teething--could that be the reason this is happening? And if so, is there anything i can do that ISN'T taping?

Views: 251

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kayla, To answer your questions, Yes. No there isn't, 4 months is a little late for taping. Taping will not hurt Mason at all, use blue painters tape, not duck tape. You can also try the sleeve method, but it may be a little late now.
I hope it's not too late! I'll love him, floppy eared or not, but I sure do love those big ears. I taped them and I'm going to leave them in for two days, let them rest and then retape. Thanks!
Teething can make the ears go up and down, but at 4 months I personally would tape them. As Sam said it doesn't hurt the puppy. I just used regular masking tape and left it on until it started to come off on its own.
I hope it's not too late! I'll love him, floppy eared or not, but I sure do love those big ears. I taped them and I'm going to leave them in for two days, let them rest and then retape. Thanks!
I'm happy to say his ears are starting to pop up! I taped for a bit, but I'm just not comfortable with it...I chose to gave him extra cheese instead and they're starting to pop up and stay on their own!
Cheese always works wonders!

I did this too on Luna's ear. (She had one down/up/down/up for a long time).  When he's sitting next to you or on your lap, just gently massage at the base.

I will say though, that the whole family is vaguely dissappointed that the ear stayed up.  It really suited her personality to have one down.  I LOVE me some big ears, but down is cute too!

Attachments:
That picture is ADORABLE. What a sweetie!
I don't have any advice to help. I just noticed a few people said that 4 months might be too late to tape their ears. I have a little one with both floppy ears. When is it appropriate to begin taping ears? and when is considered too late?
According to this post, ears should be taped at around 14 weeks if they are floppy and you want them to stand up.  Other posts say much the same thing, though I've seen as early as 10 weeks before.  This post had one owner whose corgi didn't have erect ears until 8 months (no intervention by the owner).
Hi Kasey, how old is your little one?

I taped Luke's ears for the first time at 9 weeks, and then again at maybe 11 weeks because one ear still had a bit of a crease in it. Both times I left the tape on for 2-3 days. A lot of people seem to put it off as long as possible, but the sooner the ears go up the better IMO. The longer they are left floppy the harder it is to undo that break in the cartilage.

I would say in general if the ears are not up by 6 months of age you're going to have a heck of a time getting them to stand, if they ever do. I wouldn't wait any longer than 14 weeks personally.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service