Hey, I'm new here. I found the site pretty randomly, but thought I'd join anyway. I've become a big Corgi fan after I adopted Chloe (seems like a common Corgi name!) from a local girl that was moving. I just saw the flyer and thought, "Wow... I like that dog." Went to visit that day, and the rest is history.

Chloe is a pem, and I've had her for a year now. She's about four. She's red and white, and... she has heterochromia lapis. Meaning, her eyes are two different colors (one brown and one blue).

Has anyone else seen this in a Corgi before?

Views: 3040

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw her pics on your page. What a cute dog! I've never seen heterochromia lapis in a corgi before.
I have seen this variation on several occasions. Yet one of those genetic mysteries that occur when certain genes connect. While there is no scientific theory that supports it I seem to see it more likely when one concentrates in breeding higher levels of white.
There are many Corgis who have this. I think it's something to do with a recessive gene. (Sort of like a tiger or lion. They may carry a white gene and when they mate with another who holds that gene it can produce a white cub.) Blue merle cardigan welsh corgis have it a lot. They can have a merling effect as well where one eye can be brown and blue (but theirs is accepted in the AKC) Any other color is determined as a disqualification if they have a blue eye. Cats have them as well, such as Angoras. Usually it means they are deaf in the opposite ear. Which I don't think happens to Corgis. lol.

When I was at the beach in Cali, someone had a brindle cardigan welsh corgi and she had a blue speck in one eye. Her eyes were brown, but that blue speck stood out and looked very unique! I think it looks very pretty!
Neat. She's been spayed and doesn't have papers because it's not breed standard, but that's okay because I don't show or anything. She can see and hear just fine - people always ask if she's blind in the blue eye. Does that even happen for any blue eyed animal? I thought it was always deafness. Meh.

I guess it's cool that Chloe isn't the only one. I should make a group! Haha.
I'm not sure if it causes blindness (Since Huskies can have one blue and one brown and they aren't blind), but deafness does occur such in dogs like Great Danes and of course like I said some kitties. The odd-eye effect can occur in all blue merled dog breeds.

That would be a wonderful group to make! I think those eyes look wonderful!
i thought that this was only common for cardigans, not pems....good to know.
My blue Merle corgi also has heterochromia
Attachments:
Hey, same eye too. Neat!
Seems common in herding breeds and some other pointy nose breeds like husky.

Does that disqualify her from competing?
Very cute ;) as you've already read there are others that have the color difference.
I just found a puppy on a website with eyes like that its a reason i like Aussie Shepards.. Call me strange but i LOVE the odd animals =) *always have wanted to adopt a 3 legged dog*
Many Cardis have this (which is acceptable at least in the blue merles) but I have seen very few Pems. She is beautiful and very unique with the 2 different color eyes!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service