I saw this on another pet forum I frequent. I think it's a brilliant idea, especially for silly little herding doggies who hate having their nails clipped.

http://www.quickfinderclipper.com/

Has anyone tried them? I'm not a big fan of guillotine clippers myself, prefer the scissor style more. Cooper prefers just having his nails filed with an acrylic emory board.

Views: 360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I grind nails with a dremel, and swear by it! Once the dogs are used to the dremel, it's SO Much quicker, and they aren't sharp. No need to file! The trick is getting the dog used to the dremel, but my Corgi kids nap when I'm doing their nails. Most breeders get their pups used to a dremel right from the start. Both Traum, and Galaxy came 'dremel trained'!
Zed hates guillotine style clippers. He mostly doesn't mind letting me clip his nails with the scissor style clippers. I find it helps to have my wife petting him while I clip.

The dremel method sounds great though. It would take a little getting used to as Zed does not like loud or strange sounds.
I'm just not a fan of guillotine clippers. The ones I've used seem to have split the nail. We use a simple scissor type that has the half-moon scissors with the guide behind. They work quite well. Also, we use a Dremel sander to sand down the nail so it doesn't stay rough.
I've found that by walking my Corgi everyday on concrete has filed her nails down quite nicely. I don't have to worry about cutting or filing nails, and my Corgi and I get some exercise to keep us nice and healthy! :)
I've read alot of reports saying that this thing doesn't work and the light wouldn't even change when people knew for a fact that they weren't near the quick. It's a shame, too. Non-corgi related, but still on-topic: Half of my collie's nails are black, and she HATES having them trimmed. I'm always paranoid that I'm going to cut too far because she tries so hard to get her foot back, combined with the black nails. I was really hoping this thing worked so that I could use it on her.

When Ein was a pup, we had the groomer dremel his nails becase ti was easier than trimming. Now, he'll lay on his back and give you his feet so that you can trim them, because he's a piggy and he knows that after his nails are trimmed he can have a treat. If only my other two weren't so difficult!
I am having a terrible time trying to acclimate Duncan, my 7 month old to toe nail clippers! He despises having anyone touch his paws or nails, let alone try to clip them. Lately I have been sitting down with him at night and offering praise when he briefly lets me try to hold or rub his paws. The vet and my groomer both have a difficult time with his nails too.....any more ideas for my foolish little coward Corgi :)
I trim Charlie's nails every weekend. His front claws grow very fast. He wears his back claws down naturally running and playing. On the days I don't trim, I still make sure to hold his paws and touch his nails with my hands and with the trimmer every day. I'll put a treat in my hand with the trimmer, touch his nails with the trimmer, then give him the treat. I do use a guillotine trimmer, and think it works well.

I trim when he's very relaxed or even napping. I put him on my lap on his back to trim. When he was younger and "fighting it" I sat on the floor and put him on his back between my legs. Then rubbed his belly until he was very relaxed, played with his feet, then clipped, and gave a treat for every toenail. Sometimes we only got one or two toenails, then had to take a break and another one or two later. For about two weekends when he was very young I put a muzzle on him because he was still learning not to bite with the sharp puppy teeth, and the muzzle was the only way I could trim without him biting my hands. Now I can trim all his nails in less than 5 minutes with no muzzle and no problems. He doesn't "enjoy" it, but he relaxes because he knows it's just one of those things we're going to do, and he did finally learn that it doesn't hurt. Plus nail trimmer = yummy treats!

Sounds like you may need to continue to condition Duncan to let you touch and hold his paws and then touch them with the trimmer, at first without trying to trim. Just go slowly and continue to be patient with him, but work with him every day. He'll get accustomed to having his feet played with and eventually groomed.
Thanks Charlie! I will certainly continue the mission with your advice :) It's good to know that there is hope and his silly puppy behaviors will eventually subside with time. This morning we made a little progress. Right before breakfast I asked for his paws and he gave me each one...gingerly....but with less of a fuss. Will keep you posted with future results.
Congrats for your success this morning! :) I remember even 6-8 weeks ago, "nail time" was a real struggle. It did take weeks of patience and conditioning to get where we are today. A teeny bit of progress each week made it well worth the time and effort. Don't give up!
Most dogs hate having their paws touched. Usually I just rub Winston's paws when he's laying down or chilling out just to get him used to having his paws rubbed and he usually doesn't mind. I actually just trimmed his nails for the first time ever... for me. Haha. I usually have the vet do it or my roommate but I finally did it myself. We used to use guillotine clippers and they worked fine but I went out and got some Bamboo scissor-type ones instead that came with a file and some of that stuff you use if you cut the quick (I forget the name). They worked really well, they kind of cracked a thin layer of his one of his nails but i just filed it off and he really did well. He was really fidgety but I just took a baby carrot and chopped it up a lot and he got a piece after every nail I cut and he actually responded VERY well, better than I expected. I just used a baby carrot because the only treat I have right now is milkbones and they're hard to break up and I didn't want to give him 16 milkbones!
Well, I just trimmed Winston's nails again a tiny tiny bit and did it with some carrot bits again and he did so well, he didn't need anyone to hold him down or anything haha. I was very surprised by that. But I would def. recommend to all using tiny carrot pieces because Winster, the most fidgety pup ever, did great. :)
I bought this device and it didnt work. The nails were too tough easily with this device. Dont waste your money!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service