Owen is about 3 months old and is crate trained. He is only in there for about 3 hrs at a time, twice a day. I'm concerned that we don't have AC and the house will be getting warm with the heat in the next few days (We live in Western WA so this happens 3 times a summer). Should I take him to work ( I will have to beg and plead for that)? How hot is too hot? Our house right now is 78 degrees and I have a fan pointed in the direction of the crate. He also has access to water. The hottest the house got (before we had him) was 89 degrees and stuffy.

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have the same problem right now, too!

My Corgi is housebroken but my German Shepherd is not, so she sits in the crate whenever we're out of the house. I found special water-retaining neck scarves for dogs, and put those on my pups when it's really hot. (You just have to soak them in water for a little bit, and they claim to keep dogs cool for hours.) I found these bandanas at generic big box stores, but any pet store should carry them.

But I know this is not truly enough to keep my Shepherd completely cool...so I'm interested in hearing advice from others, too! :)
freeze some ice packs and wrap them in blankets, and you can put it in his crate if there is enough room, so if he gets hot he can put his belly on the cool blanket and cool himself down.
How about getting one of those cooling beds for Owen? Should be easy to find in petstores.
As long as he has water and the room is well ventilated, I think he'll be okay.
You can try to freeze chicken stock or even just water in a kong. He'll enjoy that licking for hours plus it's cooling.
We keep our FL house around 78 with AC and 80 with Fan only. I give them ice cubes throughout the day and that seems to be fine. Make sure they're under a shade, have access to water and they should be fine.
You can also try putting a bowl of ice in front of the fan so he gets cooled down. I've done that before and it's worked pretty well. If you use one of those auto-watering jugs, you know the kind like water coolers with the jug on the top, you can freeze the jug half full and then fill it before you put it in the holder. It will give him cold water throughout the day.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service