Does this happen to your corgis? Sometimes Charlie is just not in the mood for a walk. We have a one-mile walk from our house (I think it's ok for a 3,5 month old puppy). I usually take him there once a day. At the week-ends, however, I can take him for a walk twice a day. And he does not always want to go. He sits down on the ground every few yards, he looks very.. pensive, if I can say so. And I have to make him to go.

This morning we were able to do it just a half-way, and I said "Okay, if you are not in the mood, let's go home". That's where he became very happy, and ran home at the maximum speed. When we got home, he ran in circles around the house, bite his toys, and seemed very happy to be home.

He was not scared at the walk, he was not tired, he has not had any bad encounters before. It was just not his regular walk hours. But when I was buying a dog, I had an assumption that dogs are always willing to go for a good walk, and a happy dog is a tired dog.

So, how do your fur-kids behave at the walk? Are they always happy and willing to go?

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dont ever remember Lance going through this. He always loves a walk. Hopefully Charlie will out grow it, I am sure he will.
Ours go NUTS when they figure out it's walk time! Sometimes if it is especially hot or muggy, SId will go "flat dog" for a few minutes, then he's good to go again. A walk is the highlight of their day, even better than dinnertime.
neeka gets like that every once and a while, she loves walks but once and awhile just wants a lazy day.
Our dog often wants to turn around and go back. I just keep moving forward as she needs the exercise and this is not up to her whether she wants to go for a walk or not. She is usually good after she does her business; then we can walk without issue.

She can be hesitant to come over to the leash in the house. If I open the door to outside, she'll come up to me and then I attach the leash.

She pretends to sniff around and inches her way into the reverse direction where I just yank the leash a little keep moving forward. She knows she is trying to be clever, but on the leash her attempts are in vain.
Thanks, everybody, for your replies. It definitely gives me some food for thought!
Theo did this exact thing when we first got him. He walk about a block, plant his feet, then lay down and refuse to move. We thought it was a number of things. He always did it in areas where there was the sound of running water (like a fountain). I think he was scared of that noise. Is there something in the area that is bothering Charlie, or do you think he just doesn't want to walk in general?

Theo just started doing this again recently. I just entice him to heel me with a treat and he'll continue to walk fine.
He actually walks ok under the road bridge, which is noisy, but he is unwilling to walk up the hill in the forest area. May be it's the darkness of the forest which is scary him? Or it's just difficult for him to go up the hill?
Maybe he smells something in the forest that scares him?
Does he display fear, or just stubborness/tiredness? Does he tremble, put his ears back and his tail down?
Our corgi will sometimes just plop down and not want to move, but he's just being a pooped corgi. We continue on with our other dogs (my daughter has Sidney's leash), and since he can't bear to be left behind, he gets up eventually, typically with tons of energy. He's weird, all right.
That's funny.. today in the forest I was talking to him in a very sweet voice "Charlie such a good boy! Charlie such a good doggy!", and he seemed to be more eager to go up the hill. I don't think there is much fear involved.
And! Every time on the way back he runs down the hill like a jack rabbit - very fast!

it's good that you have other dogs. One day my husband went walking with us, and Charlie was just followed him all the way up the hill!
Madog went through a period of that. Just wasn't into walking. He would go outside do his business and turn around and head back to the house. I found this troubling as I walk for exercise but then just like that he was over it.

Now he is happy walking every time I take him out and we walk alot.
He-he, that helps. I hope this period passes for Charlie too.
Have you tried to make the walking more enjoyable? Like really really praising him whenever he takes a step forward and walks with you. Maybe bring treats so he can associate the walk=good. Also it might be that the 1 mile walk is just tiring him out too much. It may not seem a lot to you because your legs are like 20x longer than his, and even if it is just walking it takes a lot out of the puppy. It it might be that the long walks are making his muscles sore from exerting so much energy, which would make him not want to go on walks on that day. Also it just might be a security thing, since the puppy is straying to far from "home" he just might feel uncomfortable and insecure. I don't know just my opinions

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service