When I was at the mall the other day, I went into the pet store. . . BIG Mistake!! They had a little Pem girl that was just adorable, and on sale. . .but then I rationalized - she might only cost me $300, but in the long run, I can't afford another dog right now. Plus I have my hands full with Blaze. :) So, I got to thinking, are pet store puppies all that bad?? I got Blaze from a breeder, and was curious - did most of you get your corgi(s) from a pet store or a breeder?? This inquiring mind wants to know!!

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a horrible bind, but bottom line: buying dogs from pet stores supports puppy mills.
Does anybody want to reward the kind of person who would sell a puppy to a pet store?

I remember possibly the worst-looking corgi I've ever seen. I knew there was something wrong with this puppy, just didn't look right, and behaved with real agitation. "How old is your puppy?" I asked. "Three years" was the reply. "Where'd you get him?" I asked. "From the pet store in XXXXX" was the reply, "he was kind of an impulse buy". How not to get a dog.
It's a horrible bind, but bottom line: buying dogs from pet stores supports puppy mills.
Does anybody want to reward the kind of person who would sell a puppy to a pet store?

I remember possibly the worst-looking corgi I've ever seen. I knew there was something wrong with this puppy, just didn't look right, stunted, and behaved with real agitation. "How old is your puppy?" I asked. "Three years" was the reply. "Where'd you get him?" I asked. "From the pet store in XXXXX" was the reply, "he was kind of an impulse buy". How not to get a dog.

I'd definitely consider a rescue dog from the shelter. I often see just gorgeous, wonderful healthy-looking mixed-breed dogs; "where'd you get her." "From the shelter." And there really is what the geneticists call "hybrid vigor". So if you want to rescue a dog, go the the shelter or a rescue organization.
Delilah, our first corgi was a mix from a shelter in Georgia. Algy was from a litter born to two show dogs and was the first puppy the family ever sold. I remember not too long ago I was at a pet store and saw a little pemmy girl there and I cried because I couldn't get her - she was too expensive at $1300 and I know about those puppy mills and I just can't support that. I still felt bad though, because I didn't want to leave her there.

I wish I could give them all a home. Shelter and pet store animals deserve love too.
I have always resisted the impulse to buy from a pet store but I understand why people do it. Two of my corgis came from people who just happened to have puppies(they were horse breeders). Both had a number of health issues and we spent a lot of money on vet bills. When one died at only 6 after several years of health problems I decided to find a reputable breeder that tests for defects and is committed to improving the breed. She is 2 1/2 now and there have not been any health issues. It is not that my other two aren't great dogs it is just heartbreaking to go through so much illness with such happy little dogs! I know there are no guaranties (that count. who would return a sick family member) but I think a good breeder will give you better odds. If your going to take a chance, a rescue is your best choice. Usually you will know more about what your getting into. In our area there are rarely rescue corgis.
I would say, find a breeder. Pet stores usually buy there dogs from puppy mills and the pedigrees on these pups are often questionable. They keep the dogs in cages with no social network and often times parents are bred to siblings and siblings to siblings. The quality of pet store puppies can be compromised also due to the fact that the pregnant dogs may not get the correct nutrition to build a strong healthy litter, and the breeding stock may not be tested for genetic disorders that can be passed to the litter. Puppy mills are only in the business for the money and the dogs are usually the ones to suffer.
Of course pet store puppies THEMSELVES are not bad. Like every other dog, they have the potential of being great dogs and making great pets. And, every animal needs to be loved. Every puppy needs a home. But, in the long run, that being said, where the pet store puppies come from 9 times out of 10 ARE usually bad. And, in buying the puppy, you're supporting those places. Some people buy pet store puppies thinking they're rescuing a dog. The reality of the matter is... they aren't. Because another puppy (or litter of puppies) will be put in their place. Meaning that another mother dog will suffer. It's an endless chain.

I usually get my dogs either from a shelter or the pound. Sometimes I even take in strays. Those, to me, are the best ways to do it. Especially if it's from a high kill shelter and the dog you adopt is on the "deathlist". Nothing better than the feeling of knowing you rescued a dog LITERALLY from his last days. Sandy, however, was given to me.
I wouldn't even buy a dog toy or food from those stores.
Oh, I know the feeling.. I try to stay away from the pet stores in the malls.. that was a great price for her... I would have wanted to rescue her..I bought both my pems from breeders, I always hear bad stuff about pet stores and puppy mills.
I bought a little Pomeranian from a pet store back in 2000, I felt sorry for her. She had luxating patellas and when I received her AKC papers her parents were brother and sister. Poor little girl didn't have a chance. There are so many BAD people out there. I am sure that another puppy of equal or worse quality replaced her. I know it is sad and I feel bad about the dogs but we cannot suport these business practices. The moere they sell the more they breed. That little pup died in 2003 of a heart defect...very sad, my children were heartbroken, she was a sweet little girl.....sad
I will never buy a pet store puppy because of where 99% of them come from. Shippo came from a show breeder in Canada. He was sold to me as a pet, on a contract, with a health guarantee, papers, pedigree, microchip, both parents health tested, you name it. $600.
Our first corgi Basil (RIP) came from a Pet shop, we had been to Rescue centres and every dog in them were not suitable for children, so we went to the pet shop locally to us and there he was !! We knew nothing about his breed, but we learned very quickly, he had no health issues, and only saw the Vet on a yearly basis for his jabs, that was the case right up until he died at age 13. Now I know that is not always the case, and most pet shops here in the UK do not sell pups anymore. We rescued Archie and Reggie from kennels, but like I said before there was no vetting of our home, just as long as we had the money to buy them they were ours. I check these kennels regularly and they have lots of litters of puppies there. We were told that ours had come from breeders that could not sell them. but with hindsight, can this be the case with ALL of these dogs? Again I think we have been lucky, both of our boys are healthy and well.
Not all puppies that come from pet stores are bad, and not all breeders that sell to pet stores are bad breeders. I have seen many very nice pups at pet stores. I have a friend who breeds Papillons for a family-run pet store. They are beautiful dogs, well bred, and well taken care of. They go to screened homes and the new owners are delighted with the pups. You can also get bad pups from breeders, I guess, do your research, ask about the breeders, ask for bloodline info, and ask for references from previous buyers.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service