I thought I would take the time to share my past experience and provide information that would help folks make an educated decision if they decide to purchase a pup. While there is much available on the internet to do ones research about a breed prior to purchasing many add a pup to their home and do the research after the fact. I hope you find this information useful.
PET SHOP PUP There are several sources of puppy availability. First we can talk about the pet shop pup. These puppies come from high production breeders. The producers of these dogs have little knowledge about dog breeds themselves. They do now genetic testing, have no concern as to how well the dogs meet the standard of the breed. They dont care about size, structure or health of their breeding stock. Temperament is never considered as these are caged dogs so it doesnt matter to them. Often times these dogs only see humans at feeding time. The resulting pups lack any real life exposure. They are shipped en masse to stores to be sold. Many die during this process as it is a great stress to their very under developed immune system. They are then placed in a cage with other puppies from different places. Their only handling is the cleaning of their cage, feeding and whatever treatment they may need. They are handled by whoever may be interested in purchasing them. They are often difficult to house train as they have had to live in the environment where they eliminate. These pups are sold to whoever is willing to pay the price. The pet shop staff possesses little to no knowledge of the breed. The family dynamics is never a consideration.
INTERNET SALES These pups differ in that usually the seller is not as quite a high of producer. There are some very slick web sites out there that will show you lovely pictures of their dogs. If you study them you will see that often all pictures are done outside. This is because the life the dog leads is not one of an indoor companion but a kennel/outside dog that has the purpose to produce. These dogs most often have no health testings and are bred randomly just to produce pups. When they no longer are money makers they too are sold or disposed of. Once again the handling these dogs receive is minimal. The breed knowedge is minimal. The person will tell you their dogs are healthy so there is no reason to test. Yep, they are healthy enough to breed and sell puppies. Beyond that once you leave you are on your own. You will find no support from this breeder should you have a problem.
CASUAL BREEDERS This would refer to a person that has a few intact corgis and chooses to have a litter periodically. This can be a person that truly loves their dogs but just hasnt taken the time to truly learn about the breed, the genetic issues in the breed or what the standard is. They have good intentions but lack the knowledge to be supportive to people that choose to purchase their pups. Pups may be raised inside or outside but often get a bit more attention then the aforementioned dogs. Usually you find these folks by ads in the local paper.
SHOW BREEDERS This is a breeder that is quite involved in the fancy. These folks usually are active in their breed club, actively show dogs, do genetic health testing and are concerned about the temperament of their dogs. These people will selectively breed their dogs based on their physical appearance and genetic background. They hope to continue or better the dogs they currently have. They screen their potential buyers and have guidelines that must be met before selling a pup. Often times they have a waiting list for their pups. These folks will provide a guarantee regarding the health and temperament of the dog and will agree to take the dog back at any time should you not be able to keep it. Pups are often sold on a spay/neuter contract.
Now I will say that not all folks that show dogs are reputable. Some breeders. This is where one needs to spend the time and ask questions. Go to the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America and digest the information they have to offer. Go to the regional club in your areas website and learn even more. Visit dog shows in your area and learn to develop an eye for what you like. Find out who the breeder is.
RESCUE While most rescues rarely have puppies they do often have young adult dogs. These dogs come from all backgrounds. Good rescue organizations have had these dogs in a foster situation to evaluate them. They have been made current on their vaccinations, spayed/neutered, heartworm tested. Rescues typically place their dogs using an application process to help place just the right dogs in the right homes. They are there for counsil and support if it is necessary. They too are usually placed on contracts and may be returned to rescue at any time should you not be able to keep the dog.
This is just the tip of the iceberg but should give you an overview of what you may find when you search. Regardless of where they come from they CAN and DO often make good companions. One just has a much better support system and a pup with a better start from one that is involved in the fancy.

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, when I was doing research trying to find Orion I found a LOT of websites for places around Texas with many different breeds and multiple litters going on at the same time. All of the pictures were with little blue or pink sheet backdrops hung up behind them too so you couldn't actually see where the pups were being raised. What's sad is that there will always be people buying these dogs so the "breeders" will keep doing what they're doing. Orion wasn't raised by a "show dog breeder" but he lived in a large pen in the kitchen with his litter mates the first 9 weeks of his life and got to listen to the vacuum, radio, tv, etc. as he grew. All his puppy pictures are of the breeder sitting on the floor with them. I also got to meet the parents to make sure they were healthy good looking dogs. Buying a dog was actually a last resort for me but after months and months of trying to find a rescue corgi unsuccessfully (and I work with a rescue organization so I have lots of ties with different groups) I decided to buy one. What's funny is that a month and a half after getting Orion, a 9 week old corgi was surrendered to our rescue group after the family (with five kids under eight) decided they couldn't keep her so she's living with me now. Of course she has a very shady past and we don't know where she originally came from but she's definitely a full bred corgi, so that right there is proof that there are little pups out there for rescue, people just have to be patient. Didn't mean for this to turn into a long ramble, oh well :P
I was online looking at corgi photos via google. Some how I cam across this website where there was a breeder in Nevada who ships puppys and takes payments by Paypal. Then I read this clause they had and I was completely shocked "ONCE PUPPY LEAVES **** (I omitted the name)***** PROPERTY, all sales are final subject to the warranties contained herein."

I really wish there was a way to control breeders like this, they tend to breed bad owners.

Granit my two are rescues. My Adonis was given up when he was no longer a puppy but he was still under a year old.
Great information! we have only purchased one of the three corgis we have had, the other two have been rescues by various methods. We did meet both parents of the first. Leo Knoteboom can probably talk very knowledgably about the testing for DM that should be done. With our first, 10 years ago, we knew to ask about hips, etc and did so. Our Lucky, a rescue has IVDD which can't be tested for, and has had surgery and is now in a cart. I don't know, of course if it runs in his "family" or not, or actually if IVDD is something that is passed on. I do know that DM is passed and can be tested for - if I were purchasing a corgi, I would want to make sure I knew about testing as well as having my new pup be the right fit in my home
Thanks everyone for your additions to the discussion. When I first commented, we still had Rudy and we had not yet purchased Harmony.

I wanted to address purchasing Harmony because much of this thread was quite helpful. And I did my research! I originally pulled up the CWCCA website and looked at all their material. And I went to their breeders list. I went to each breeder's website and looked at their pups, bitches, facilities, etc. I know you can't tell a lot by a website, but you can when you call folks. I emailed several. I talked to several. And I WAITED for the one I chose to have puppies.

I couldn't have been more pleased. The breeder was north of us, just outside of Huntsville, AL. She had been with the breed for many years showing and doing agility. Talking to her was fabulous and I was so pleased to see how picky she was about where her pups would be placed. I know if we were selected, we would have passed a serious test! And that was a good thing!

When the pups were born, we kept in touch. Once they were old enough for visitors, we took a couple of days off work and drove there to visit. We visited with the pups and with the breeder and had so much fun. The breeder showed us the puppy she picked for us. We were specific about Harmony having the temperament to be Patti's SD. And she did a perfect job of picking the right pup!! (You have to have a breeder you can trust!)

A few weeks later, the breeder called and said Harmony was ready to come home. Again, we took a couple of days off and went north. We couldn't have been more pleased. And, I can tell you that "doing business" with a reputable breeder who deeply cares about the breed was so different than I had seen or experienced before.

Anyone who truly wants a good pup should be willing to do the research, talk to each of the breeders, find out what they're about and be willing to wait for a litter.
Just wanted to mention the ranch or farm breeders, too. They might be included in the casual breeder but finding a litter from working dogs is a plus to some of us. Going to view and meet the parents is fun and the temperament of dogs raised in this way is pretty great, too.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service