I wanted to take the time to thank everyone for their words of advice and concern regarding Buddy's back problem. I spoke with the vet again about our options and its not looking good. Due to some other health concerns of Buddy's, surgery may be very risky and the vet says there is no guarantee that it would be successful and he expressed his concerns about Buddy's prognosis. There is also a good chance theat he will develop problems with other discs in the future if he does happen to come through surgery okay. He appears to be in more discomfort and it is breaking my heart. I feel I am faced with the decision to end his suffering and it is one of the hardest things in the world to do -to let my best friend go. Has anyone else had experience with Intervertebral Disc Disease with their corgis?

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Colleen I am so sorry to hear the sad news . I wish i could help . I'll think positive thoughts for Buddy .
We're so sorry to hear about Buddy. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Hey Colleen, just want to let you know that you and buddy are in our thoughts and prayers as well.
Colleen, I am so sorry to hear this news about Buddy. I know for humans, once you start down the road of back/disc surgery, it can be a slippery slope. The disc problem may be cured, but arthritis, and other discs can occur. And many people don't get pain relief because of the nerve irritation from the disc. If you did choose the surgery, he will need lots of nursing care after. When Augie was sick, he was so weak I had to physically take him outside every couple hours, and he did pee in the house many times. Such a hard decision...my thoughts are with you. Carol
I'm heavy-hearted to hear about Buddy. Is Intervertebral Disc Disease the same as Degenerative Myelopathy (DM)? The symptoms sound the same. There are quite a few Corgis with DM ambling around in carts (essentially doggie wheelchairs) without surgery. I hope they have given you the correct diagnosis.

My best get-well wishes go out to you for Buddy.
Oh Colleen! I am so sorry to hear about Buddy!! I was hoping there would be something they could do to help him, or it would be something else. You are all in my thoughts and prayers!! ((BIG HUGS))!!
Poor Buddy. I am so sorry to hear this news. I don't know much about Intervertebral Disc Disease. I wish there was something we all could do for you. The best is sending you prayers and keeping you strong at this time of your and Buddy's life. He needs you to be a strong momma and he knows you will do the best for him. Much love and prayers.
Lauren and Duke.
Im so sorry to hear :( Your family will be in our thoughts..
Sorry to hear about that. But have you considered any hollistic solution as an alternative to help your little guy with his back problem? Our friends who has a farm uses magnets to help their horses with pain and it really works. Maybe you can try that as well?
Hi Colleen. What happened to Buddy afterall? My dog dog Bonni has just recently been diagnosed with IVDD and just had surgery this afternoon. It was an emergency situation requiring surgery to save the spinal cord as much as possible. I talked to the neurosurgeon and he says Bonni has extensive damage to the spinal cord and its pretty bruised up. The surgery went well, but her prognosis isn't good. Because she had little sensation of deep pain and the amount of damage there was, he cannot say if she will be able to regain full function again. I am very worried. I saw that you posted this 2 years ago.
Do you have any advice? I am sorry to hear what happened to Buddy.
Yes.....we had excellent results with surgery. It was a recovery but worth the effort.
I am so sorry to read that! Your are in my prayers.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service