What can I do to get my current dog to be best friends with the new puppy?

I just recently got a new family member.
A 3 months old Corgi, named Faye.
I got Faye so that Bonni has a companion to play with while I sit at my desk and study all day long.
The introduction took all day (yesterday)
And now( today) ... Bonni doesn't play with Faye.
I give them equal amount of attention, except just a tad bit more for Faye because I have to tell her "no" for everything.
When Faye would play with toys... Bonni sits under my desk and watches.
When Faye comes up to her to play... Bonni tries to tell her that she is the "top dog" in the house... and Faye leaves and chew on other things on her own.
So, now I sit here and study ..... and Bonni STILL sits under my desk (bored)...
Im back at square 1.
I thought this would be a wonderful idea for Bonni, however, its not working out like I had hoped it would.

Does anyone have any advice on how the two can become best friends and play?? OR advice on any other things???
PLEASE HELP!

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Give the puppies time. Also give Bonni more attention at first. We did this with Toby and Lola.. Toby had to feel secure that he was still wanted after Lola came. Now we treat each of them with love and affection but still find time to give each individual attention. Now they give each other ear licks and chase rabbits together. Neither of them learned how to "play" with former owners. They dont know what to do with a ball or other toys. They just enjoy companionship.
I don't know what to say. . .I was just commenting on how Corgi's get along with all dogs and now I hear this??? I got my new Corgi Cloe on 9-14 (she was 8 weeks old) and my other two Corgi's, Sid & Babs took to her right away. . .I was trilled to see them play, eat and sleep together. . .they accepted her as their little sister and I haven't had any prolems with them at all. . . .they sleep on my bed with me and each one takes turns sleeping right next to me. . .no jealousy going on at all. . . .

Maybe you should leave them together to get acquainted. Let them spend time alone so there's no distraction. . .you don't think Bonni will hurt Faye do you? They probably just to spend quality time together. . . .
Candy-
It's definitely going to take some time. Be very patient and just do your job as a good mom and I think the nature part will take care of itself. Continue to treat Bonni as normal as possible and be as fair as possible to both of them. I think it will take time for a new hierarchy to evolve. If you think of it in human terms Faye is considered 3.75 years old and Bonni is 24 years old...so until they have more things in common..and the roles are established it's going to be a little weird for everyone. I think a dogs behavior is largely based on trust and it will take time for Bonni to trust this new situation...once she sees that nothing has (really) changed she'll be fine. It probably took my cats 2 months to stop HISSING at Maggie when I brought her home. I have no doubt you'll be a big happy family in no time!
First of all...give it time. They have to get their hierarchy straight. Bonni may correct the puppy and that is ok because dogs are pack animals and this has to be worked out (as long as Bonni doesn't really try to hurt the pup). Puppies are like toddlers-they can be annoying to an older dog. I bet they will be best buds in time.

BTW anytime I introduce a new dog into the house I take them to a neutral place to meet for awhile-I use our dog training club. This way the original dog is not protecting its turf right off the bat.
I really hope so.
As of today (3 days later)... they're not growling at each other anymore... but Bonni doesnt play with her.
I also feel like Bonni doesnt want to play much anymore. Because when I try to play with her now, Faye comes up and want to play as well.. but Bonni, I guess doesnt want her to play... so she gives up. Cant play hide and seek, catch, or even cuddle time with Bonni anymore. I have to divide my attention to each dog, and I dont have that much time to give each one individually. I've never had a pet prior to Bonni. And of course, never had two dogs. I suppose I feel a bit overwhelmed. And perhaps also feel like I miss the "Bonni and Me" time. Its like I have just about the same amount of attention to each, without having to make the other feel neglected. And because of that... neither gets "enough" attention.-- Guess this is what will happen too when I have children in the future, huh?? Esp if I plan to have more than one. How do everyone else do it?? Esp if you're single owner --- I hope they get along soon, so they can make each other happy, without needing mom to do it.
Hi Candy, don't stress yourself too much. Your pups have to sort it out among themselves. It'll take some time for them to sort it out. It also depends on their personality too.

When I got Vienna, Mocha was very protective of his properties. Even when they met at a "neutral" ground. Mocha practically "terrorize" Vienna in terms of not letting her approach my husband and I, claiming all food as his food, occasional fight, etc. I then realize both Mocha and Vienna are extremely dominant. But with time, Vienna learned her boundry, and the terrorizing behavior diminished. (but they still love fighting over food...) Now they love playing with eachother, looking after eachother.

Just remember, keep doing what you doing with Bonni as much as before as possible (at least to begin with, so she doesn't feel you left her for another pup). And then slowly equalize the amount of time between the two dogs. It helps to ease the transition period.

Sometimes, if I find one of my pup need some one on one time with me, I'll ask my husband to occupy the other one while I give a 5 mins one on one time with the one in need. Maybe you can try that too. Ask a friend to play with the younger one for 5 minutes or something, while you give Bonni some attention.

Don't worry too much, with time, they will learn where they each stand in the hierarchy, how to behave and how to get along. Keep us updated on how they are doing from time to time. And feel free to ask our many experts in this site, some members are experts in dog behavior.
I just let kolby (2yrs) abd quesa (3mos) establish rank between themselves. I definitely notice there is animosity between them, but they do alright. Quesa has to learn rank (even though she may grow bigger than kol) and kolby never gets too harsh with the puppy. He knows shes a baby and treats her accordingly. I say let them work it out by themselves, but always supervise whats going on. Things DO happen. Give it time, they will be alright.
Since dogs are pack animals, it takes a while to establish rank of who is dominant. When we got our 4 month old corgi we thought that our other dog would be thrilled because she has always gotten along with other dogs. For the first couple weeks our older dog (Sadie) would growl and snap at our corgi (Miles), especially when it had do with toys and food. The only time we ever stepped in was if we thought someone was going to get hurt. We tried to give our older dog more attention and we fed them in separate rooms. We let them work it out and after several weeks Sadie started to understand where her place was and now they sleep together, clean each other, and play together. I know it is hard, but be patient and Bonni will come around.
Give it time. We adopted Toby in March and then began to foster Lola in August. We were told to make sure that Toby remained number one to the foster dog. As they got used to each other they did establish bounderies. Lola is more dominant and for the most part Toby lets her ( except when it came to "his" chair). We had to teach Lola that makng the "ugly face" was not acceptable. We adpoted Lola. Toby and her get along really well now. We try to give each individual attention. But Toby remains number 1, he is offered the treat first etc. Remember too, they are dogs. What they want to do may be different than what you'd like to have happen. As far as playing goes, neither of ours learned to play as pups, we wish they did but working on it.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service