My Corgi Kona weighs 9lbs at 5 months. Im really curious to know when other corgis stopped growing. From what I hear, they grow bigger until a certain point and start putting on weight after. Anyway, it would be nice to know other owners' experience.

Views: 13209

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Plus it keeps people from adopting what for the most part are good dogs (temperment, health etc etc etc) which i think are more important instead of being passed up just because they dont fall into a breed standard"

Most people who buy from reputable breeders buy for the best odds of good health and temperament, in addition to the conformation standard. Very few backyard breeders, and no puppy mills, take their dogs in for the mimimum recommended OFA and CERF health tests to try to ensure reduced risks of health problems in their puppies.

Anyway, I don't want to argue either as this thread is about size, not about breeding. Small Corgis, standard Corgis and big Corgis are all cute (of course!).

I do have concern for your Chloe, being 10 pounds under the standard size with a litter coming. Corgis in general have a harder time whelping puppies than other dog breeds. So a tiny female Corgi is much more likely to have complications and require emergency care to successfully whelp her litter without it killing her. I'm not saying that to be pessimistic, but just to hope you have a vet and emergency clinic lined up on notice when the time comes, just in case.
Agreed. Corgi's are cute in all colors, sizes and flavors.

Yea we were a little worried at first being that Chloe was small. Luckily the Emergency Pet Clinic is 10mins away. And yes i had the pleasure of using them before but thats another story. Lukily Louie is also a small corgi so the chances of the pups being small when born is good and hopefully wont pose any problems. I do have to admit Chloe is 1-2 weeks from being due and she does look pregnant but her tummy is not as big as I thought it would be. I've been taking her to the vet also for check ups and so far no problems are forseen. Im crossing my fingers hoping it stays that way.
I have a smaller corgi as well. He is 5years old, male and people always ask me if he is a puppy or a mini. Corgi owners as well. He probably weights about 28lbs now but for a long time was clocking in at 25lbs after he stopped growing.
You got to admit small corgis are so adorable!
Each corgi is unique just like we people are. In dog years (7 to our 1 year) it would be resonable to assume that by the age of 3 (in dogs years=21) the dog should be at it's God given full mature size. Let's face it, some of us mature earlier than others.
Steve will be 5months next week and he's about 18lbs (yikes! weighs twice as much as your Kona). He was about 4lb when I first got him and he grew about a lb/week. I asked the vet during each visit if he's too heavy and I was told he's OK. Other Corgi parents have told me his paws are big & I know his dad is big ("thick" or "big boned", not obese) so maybe that's why Steve's on the bigger side compared to other 5month old pups. I hope he slows down on getting bigger or I won't be able to carry him anymore.
Scout is 5 months now and 20 lbs. which is normal. especially considering boy dogs are supposed to bigger than girl dogs also.
Ok so I just read that Kona weighs only 9lbs and she's 5 months....which makes me feel like Kiwi should maybe cut down on the eating...b/c she's 11 weeks and is 8.9lbs right now. I'm not quite sure when they stop growing, but I've heard that standard size for females is from 20-25 lbs. Anyway, good luck with the growing pup!
I think you should just focus on how healthy your individual pup looks, not focus on a particular weight. Puppies should have little tummies, but as she grows, you want to see a defined waist that sort of tapers behind her ribcage. You should be able to feel her ribs if you rub your hands over her ribcage, but she shouldn't look emaciated at all, so the ribs shouldn't really be visible. As Andy said, Kona is a smaller dog, so you certainly wouldn't want to deprive Kiwi, who might just be a bigger dog. Feed at regular intervals throughout the day and adjust according to her growth. Plus, it's a good idea to check with the vet to make sure she's at a healthy weight if you're ever doubtful.
Kiwi's doing great. Like Ginny suggested, as long as she's not too fat or too skinny, her actual weight shouldn't be a big concern. The "average" for 11 weeks would be 11 pounds. The AKC standard for both males and females is 25-30 pounds with the "ideal" female at 25 pounds and "ideal" male at 27 pounds.
I am thinking my puppy is going to be on the huge side compared to Kona! Lol he is only 10 weeks old and already just shy of 10lbs...he gained two pounds in the last week alone!
I think he is "normal" - or on track to being close to the "ideal standard". They're supposed to grow a pound a week - so 10lbs at 10 weeks is ideal. Bailey was just the same as yours - grew about a pound a week.. always shy of the next mark though - at 12 weeks he weighed 11lbs 15 oz. lol... I too thought bailey was huge until you really read all the comments, and our pups really aren't huge!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service