We're learning to give Milo more healthy treats so he can lose some weight. I know rawhides, milkbones, and all the doggie cookies are very tasty for him. But, they tend to have higher calories.

Anyone ever bake some healthy dog treats?
Anyone give their dogs some fruits or healthy "human" food?

Views: 3102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bunny loves carrots, celery, lettuce, green beans, tomatoes and the usual dog treats. Since she could lose a few pounds, we stick mostly to the veggies. She gets lettuce when we make salads, frozen green beans as a treat when we leave in the morning, has learned to dig her own carrots (yes, we're redoing the veggie garden so she can only access the healthy and safe veggies in healthy proportions). She also learned to pick grapes and strawberries last year. She now has her own veggie garden and the tomatoes are higher up.
I've checked with the vet to make sure the veggies are safe, and the only recommendation was to help her cut back on the fruit. She loves sliced apples and melons, peaches, grapes, and nectarines. But these are truly treats and only offered once or twice a week. Last year she sat in the strawberry bed and learned to get under the bird netting. This year I raised the beds and put a fence around them to help save some for us. We split the grape vine, she gets what she can reach and we get the rest.
Hate to break the news, but you might need to fence off the grape vine too. Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs, and linked to kidney/renal failure. : - (
It's getting hot here in SoCal, so I'm freezing baby carrots in ice cubes (as someone suggested). I'm curious to see Sid's reaction to this toy/treat combo!
My opinion - treats are most effective when the dog will do anything to have it. I feed greenies and pet botanics (I think that's what they are called) treats. Oliver LOVES them both.
Im not sure how good ice is for dog teeth.. Ice chewing for is bad for our teeth so I imagined it would be the same for dogs. Does anybody know anything about ice chewing for dogs?
i would think if bones, rawhide are safe, ice should be safe? if its the hard texture your asking about. =P It's way better than rawhide in the digesting dept. but i wouldnt think giving 4 ice cubes at once is good - cause i don't know how well dogs would take having a pool of cold water in their stomach - it might get upset.
Our vet said that dogs can break their teeth on ice!! Although my husband started giving our dog ice cubes before our vet told us that. I try to give our dog crushed ice.
Dogs teeth are different than ours so I'm not sure ice would effect them the same. My vet said they don't get cavaties like we do but they can get gum disease. Anyway, I don't think an ice cube every so often can hurt. Besides it's fun to watch them chase them down the hallway like a hockey puck. :)
I've begun buying "puppy-things" for my soon-to-be-home-but-not-soon-enough puppy and came across this awesome healthy dog treats recipe book at Barnes & Noble! There was a pretty decent selection of books, so I chose the healthy one. It was understandable, cute and came with dog-themed cookie cutters and all! It's nice becuse it included recipes for vegetarian, anti-allergy and low calorie snacks. Of course, being without a puppy, I can't attest to the popularity of home-baked goods amongst the canine population. I'll be baking some for friends' dogs soon and hopefully it goes well!
Has anybody tried "Frosty Paws" doggie ice cream? I know Andy and Max LOVED that as a special treat once in a blue moon....
Chloe LOVED LOVED that! When we gave it to her and we walk 2 feet within her radius, she growled at us and gave a big snarl. She just licks it till its gone, she doesnt take bites. Its cute.
Sounds great! I will try that without canned food.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service