We've always heard of this "rule" concerning humans and allergies: If you take a tablespoon a day of honey that is made in your state, then your seasonal allergies will be cured.  I have never tried this myself or know anyone that has, but we were thinking about this because Midas' allergies have been blowing up these past few weeks.

Would this be safe to try (in smaller doses) for a Corgi?  Has anyone else ever heard of this treatment or tried it out?  We figure this would be a natural remedy (although sometimes natural remedies aren't always the best). 

Looking forward to opinions on the matter!

Zach, Lisa, and Midas

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lisa,

I dont have any advice in regards to honey. I have gotten advice to use 50% vinegar + 50% water. I have used this and put it in a spray bottle and it really seemed to help Lance when he was dealing with allergies last fall. He was licking his paws raw!! It really did seem to help!! Hope Midas is feeling better soon.
vinegar and water may be a good deterrent for obsessive licking, but think it would sting, if itching caused by allergies. besides the vinegar wont stop the allergy so how frustrating for the dog, vinegar tastes awful but the itching is worse...
the vinegar and water solution did not seem to bother Lance, in fact, it cleared up his paws.
Wasn't it apple cider vinegar instead of vinegar? For some reason, I can't copy+paste the link that I found the following information so I'll type it out: "Apple cider vinegar has detoxifying properties. Dogs with itchy skin caused by allergies can almost get an instant relief if ACV is used as an after-shampoo rinse."
And of course, it has to be diluted. Or you can just google "dog apple cider vinegar allergies" for more information.
oooooooo There we go :)
Good catch AJ, yes it is Apple CIder Vinegar!!! :)
I have heard something like this also! I hope someone has some answers for you!
From a medical standpoint, it makes sense if Midas is allergic to the local flowers (pollen) only, theoretically by feeding him honey produced by those local flowers, it'll help build up his resistance to local pollen. Feeding honey to adult dogs is fine in small amount, however, puppies don't have a strong immune system and should NOT have any due to possible botulism spores in honey.
Oh I would rather give appropriate dose of benadryl than use honey.. aveeno . oatmeal baths may help too , but if it truly is seasonal allergies, as opposed to food allergies( more typical) then a vet may be required to control and small dose of Prednisone may be called for in order to counteract the allergies for the season and then backed off for the remainder of the year. I had a very allergic Golden that had food allergies andlater in life developed seasonal allergies. Benadryl helped with severe immediate itching but had to go to small dose of prednisone daily for the early part of spring and summer, then weeks to back it off so no prednisone for fall and winter..
Oooo never heard the vinegar thing but I have to try it! What if they're itchy all over? should I spray them all over as well? Charlie licks his paws like crazy and Roxi's got the itch and its not fleas or a rash or anything :/
You could spray them all over and see if it helps. :)
I might do that lol. Just to see what happens!!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service