Sally is our rescue we picked up in December.  She is 3 and we had her spayed May 10th.  She has been a lot more timid since the surgery.  She is scared of the storms, fireworks and any loud noises!  Anyway, yesterday we took the dogs with us for lunch at a friend’s house 1 hour drive away; they have a 14 year old dog and 2 cats (one of the cats loved Sally’s crate).  Everything went wonderful.  They all got along fine!  We noticed that Sally was squatting a lot at their house (outside), but just figured she was marking.  This morning on her walk I thought she was squatting more than usual so I started trying to watch what was coming out.  I think I saw dark color drops.  I know that it’s hard to tell for sure.  When she came home Sally drank lots of water and then wanted back outside right away.  She threw up her breakfast!! I figure it could be from drinking so much water after her walk, but we are watching her closely!  I think I will just wait until dinner to feed her.  I will call the vet in the morning. BTW:  Her nose is cool so I don’t think she has a fever. Does anyone have any other thoughts or ideas?

Views: 235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You'll need to read this label and compare it to your chicken label. It all depends on portion size and how you prepare it. When in doubt, talk to your vet to double check.
The good news is she loves her new dog food, I'm able to get her to take her meds without any trouble and she had her first BM this morning. She seems to be squating less and I got rid of the Cadet chicken jerky treats that she loves just in case they had anything to do with the problem! She is such a good little girl and acts to happy, lets hope we found the answer to get her better!!
Glad you found the problem and she's doing better!
wen i take my dog outside for a walk he goes pee on everything he walks by if there a pole he pees if by the pole theres a tree he pees bt sometimes he picks up his leg bt nothing comes out nd idk if its normal
Lynne, my Lilli has had to go on the same prescription food because of crystals. We were unable to get her off of it, even though it is only meant to be a temporary food. Nutritionally, it isn't a good long term food. We had a talk with her vet, he gave us a very specific diet, and I found a limited ingredient food, California Natural Chicken and Rice, that fit in her diet. Everything else had to change, too, her treats and the types of veggies and fruit that we supplemented with. She has been on that for a few months, and her urine tests, crystals, and white blood cells, have been good. It is a MUCH better food, if you read the label. But it is for only her specific type of crystals, check with your vet.

Even more important, I gather, is the concentration of the urine. I had to make her drink more. I already posted about how I did that with a slow-feed bowl and water. I also bought her a drinking fountain. Her vet wants to check again when the air is drier in the house, maybe around November.

Any questions, I'd be happy to answer. Good luck.

Julia
Thanks for the info! I have a call out to my vet to see what kind of crystals she has. I know that her PH was very high. What treats and veggies or fruits do you feed her now? I will look into the California Natural Chicken & Rice. Do you know what you are to try to stay away from in her diet?
Lynne, this is for oxalate crystals, though Lilli had both types. We want her ph to stay low.

OK foods are eggs, poultry for protein. Not beef, lamb, fish. Not dairy, cheese.

Veggie/Fruit that are OK are cauliflower, green peas, radishes, white potatoes, bananas, grapefruit, mangoes, melons, plums.

Not OK veggie/fruit (this is the hard part) are broccoli, carrots, celery, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, green beans, spinach, sweet potatoes, tofu, tomatoes. Apples, apricots, cherries, most berries, lemon or lime peel, oranges, pineapple, tangerine.

Grains that are OK are macaroni, rice,spaghetti.

Not Ok grains are corn bread, grits, peanuts, pecans, soybeans, wheat germs.

The Not OK list reads like the ingredient list of a high quality dog food. That made it hard to find one for her. And the veggie treats! She loves carrots, but no more. And no more peanut butter in the Kong.

However, after switching from the prescription diet to this one, there are no crystals, ph is low, urine is dilute, and no more infections. And California Natural much better nutritionally than that prescription. I've also found food at Pet Smart that is packaged in a tube, like liver sausage is, that has the right ingredients, but I don't recall the name.
Thanks again, the crystals are triple phosphate. Do you think I should stay away from the same things, since we want the ph to remain low also??
Hi Lynne, what Julia posted was specific for Calcium"Oxalate" crystal only, Sally have "Struvite" crystal (Magnesium Ammonium Phosphate, AKA Tripple Phosphate). The Royal Canin Urinary SO rx food have normal levels of protein, magnesium, phosphorous with extra sodium. The increase in sodium will encourage Sally to drink more water, producing a greater volume of urine to flush out the bladder. It'll keep the ph around 6, preventing further stone formation. The Royal Canin Rx food is only temporary, once Sally's system is clear, she can go back to a good diet.

Calcium Oxalate crystals do not dissolve like Sturvite crystals does, once the stones are removed surgically, a straight diet can help the urine ph maintain around 7.

Check with your vet if you have any questions.
Julia,

Where did you get the info for all this? My vet thinks Sally should stay on the prescription dog food, when I said that I had read she shouldn't be on this food for more than 5 or 6 months, they acted like they never had heard that before! I plan checking her urine next week, but she acts normal and it looks light in color. I am only feeding her the perscription food for now, but am trying to figure out if she has to stay on this food.
Lynne, this was given to me by my vet, printed on his letterhead. I don't know the original source. I was originally told that Lilli should not stay on the Royal Canin diet long term by the vet, because it is not complete nutritionally. So after her urine cleared up, I switched her to different high quality foods (chosen at random) and retested. Both times I went through this process the crystals reappeared. After that the vet said I should just keep her on the prescription diet.

I went back to him asking for help to get her off of that stuff, and that is when we discussed the info I posted above. He stressed it is the quality of the protein (poultry and egg), no senior food, lots of water and these restrictions. After two 10 lb bags, at 2/3 c. a day, I had her retested, with the good results I mentioned. Her ph level was at 6.5.

Sam is right, this diet is for oxalate crystals, but Lilli had those and sturvite. She's remained healthy. I'm giving you this info as something to discuss with your vet, since her condition is not exactly the same as your dog's. If you plan to try her on a regular diet anyway, it wouldn't hurt to use a limited ingredient food like the Cal. Nat., since you then have a better idea of how individual ingredients affect her.

Just a note, she did gain a few pounds on the Cal. Natural, so I give her a bit less of that than I did of the Royal Canin.
Good news! Sally’s test came back free of any crystals and low PH. The vet said that there was a +1 for bacteria, but that probably had to do with the collection. PS: I had a very hard time getting the sample this time, including getting some all over me! Now I just have to figure how long to keep her on the prescription diet and what to feed her when I take her off it!!
:)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service