Hi there. :] I'm looking to bring home a corgi sometime within the next year or so, and figured I'd start doing my research now. Recently I've become intrigued with Pembrokes with tails, after seeing pictures of ones from countries where tail docking is banned. I was wondering if anyone knew of any breeders here in the US that didn't dock tails as well? I know it'd probably be pretty rare, since most breeders breed for show, and tails would be non standard... But if anyone knows of any breeders that don't, please let me know. I live in Southern California, but I'm open to breeders from farther away if they're reputable and willing to ship. If fate would allow it, I would love a fluffy boy with a tail. :]

Thank you!!

Views: 7150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John, I think I feel exactly as you do on the docking.   We had an English Springer Spaniel (who hunted) growing up, and I absolutely understand the docking.  She came home full of burrs and scratches, and my understanding is the full tails get a mess and can actually get tangled in the brush, and also are prone to bleeding and injury.

But for a Corgi, with the Corgi coat--- I just don't much see the point.  I feel like I'm missing so much.  Not with Maddie, who waggles her entire backside when she's happy/excited.  But Jack is more subtle in his affections and I think I miss a lot of gentle tail waves.  I also think a tail helps them communicate with other dogs, and it certainly makes it easier for us dumb humans to read our dogs' moods.  Face only tells part of the story.  I end up trying to read eye ridges and lip puckers.  Ugh.

Thank you for your comment, John. You'll have to blame the internet for introducing me to fluffies. I had originally wanted a regular coated corgi. Until I found fluffies. Normally I'm a fan of long haired dogs (or cats, even) so I just fell in love with fluffies. If I end up with more than one corgi (and that will probably happen at this rate), I do want a one with a regular coat though.

And that's really unfortunate that it's so hard to find a breeder that doesn't dock... I was hoping I could find breeders that competed in other fields besides confirmation. But I'm not making the tail a deciding factor. It's more of a "just in case it's out there". If nothing pans out, I'll just start talking to breeders closest to me about their upcoming litters. And hope that one of these days they'll rewrite the standards so pembrokes can keep their lovely tails.

Somebody here once had an undocked litter because it was born during a paralyzing ice storm, and they couldn't make it to the vet's on time, and couldn't/wouldn't do it themselves. 

As John mentioned, he'd consider a cardi.  I have three and they are wonderful!  They are never docked, so you've got a big ol' tail right off!  Plus there's lots of fluffies out there...I have two fluffies.  What some folks mentioned about the fluffy coat picking up things and all, that's absolutely right.  When Nimh, my fluffiest fluff, plays in the snow...he brings in so many HUGE snowdingleberries that are so hard to get off, I have to just let them melt off for the most part.  Makes a big mess.  BUT...I wouldn't trade either of them for the world.  My other cardi has a regular coat..so much easier to take care of. 

Cardis are more mellow than pems (they say...I've never owned a pemmie, so I can't say)...they're quite clownish and fun.  They're bigger than pemmies, too.

Whatever you decide to get though, congratulations...Corgis are the BEST BREED EVER (but I might be a bit biased).  And welcome to this site!  It's a wonderful resource for questions, support, laughter, sharing pics n' videos, and when the inevitable but horrible loss of a beloved pooch happens, this place is a wonderful place to go to grieve and work through the heartache...lots of support and understanding.

Thanks for your input, Ellen. :] I did consider a cargi actually, and I may end up getting one at some point. But from what I've read, I do seem to like the personality of the pembroke more. And I've had more personal experience with them, since a few of my friends own pembrokes, but no one owns a cardi, unfortunately. Cardi owners do seem to be big fans though, so maybe one day I'll try to meet one and I'll become a fan too. Haha. Thank you for your welcome too! I've lurked for months before actually joining. Glad I finally made it. :]

Believe it or not, some mad scientists have actually mapped the dreaded Fluffy gene, and there is a DNA test, so this Dreaded Scourge may be bred out of the gene pool.  But I've suspected that breeders have actually selected FOR the fluffy allele because the carriers have the best coats.  All 3 Pem litters I've seen were about 1/4 fluffs, the Mendelian ratio you'd expect from 2 carrier parents.   ??? speculation.

I think that might just be the nightmare of us fluffy lovers. Haha. But it's interesting to know that fluff carriers have the best coats. Hopefully that's a risk that breeders are willing to take. Especially since there're many people who like the fluffy coat, so it shouldn't be too hard to find homes for fluffies. I'm sure I and many others would be sad if the fluffy coat was bred out.

My first thought was also to recommend a cardigan.  There are lots of fluffies out there and no worries about docking/not docking.  Have you considered the differences between the two?  Maybe a cardigan would be a better fit for you personality wise as well as coat/tail aspect.

Thanks for the input, Chris. I did think about it, but I think pembrokes fit more of what I'm looking for. And the tail/coat thing is not as important. Also I've personally met a few pembrokes, but never any cardigans. Maybe after my first pembroke. I'll consider a cardigan. Haha.

I originally wanted a Pembroke but wanted one with the tail left intact.  After a lot of unsuccessful searching I was unable to find a reputable breeder who would leave a tail on for me.  So I got a Cardigan and I really love his temperament.  He is a fluff as well but with a fluffy coat that sheds sticks, leaves, and dirt just fine.  

Thanks for your comment, Megan. That's unfortunate that not docking is so uncommon. To me the tail is not as important. So I'll probably just end up going for a docked pembroke. I'm glad that you end up loving your cardigan's temperament though. I may look into one later, but definitely, pembroke first for me. :]

Like others have stated, I would recommend keeping your options open and considering a Cardigan.  Trying to find an undocked Pembroke corgi from a reputable breeder is quite difficult.  Sometimes you can find a rescue that still has a tail, if you're open to rescuing an older puppy or adult corgi, but a puppy would be quite hard to find.  That's not to say it's impossible, and I'm certainly not trying to discourage you, just giving a fair warning.  :)  Cardigans always have their tails, so it would be much easier to find a Cardigan.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service