I was just looking into buying a second PWC puppy from a breeder, and just found out that prices are way more than I ever anticipated.  I'm talking $1,500 per puppy.  Now, I realize that producing quality dogs to breed standards is very costly and that breeders don't really make much money on their puppies, but this seems very expensive.  I bought my current corgi from a responsible breeder located in OK (I was living in the midwest at the time) just two years ago and he was $900 (which I thought was just about right for the price).  

Are the prices just that much higher b/c I live on the east coast near Boston?  Can anyone from the general vicinity confirm or negate this seemingly high price?

Views: 569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have this dark fantasy of hiking in the North Cascades with one of Clue's pups... good thing I already have 2 more Pems than I can safely handle...
John, they are so athletic that it's scary. The little bitch that I have here in the house has a tailset that makes me cry (it's very Pemmy, ironically) but she FLIES. She figured out how to do full flights of stairs (up and down) at nine weeks. She never breaks a trot, just stretches out and takes these huge strides... and she's a pocket corgi like her mom; will mature under 30 lb. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea; a lot of people like a much bigger and heavier Cardi. But I just adore these sharp angular herdy little mosquitoes; I can take them anywhere. We went geocaching with Kipling last week; a HUGE pine had gone down over a little stream bridge and buckled it in the middle, so you had to step up a couple feet to the bridge edge, scramble down to where the tree was, over the tree, over a limb, up again to the other end of the bridge, and then down a couple feet to the path. I carried the (human) baby over and turned to go back for Kip and he was beside me already, wagging and laughing.
I'll just add in here that one of the most valuable things I got with my first two Corgis and now Gromit is the relationship with their breeder, Jean York. Jean is always ready to answer questions, provide advice, and sometimes chastise me ("You get some weight off those two! They are too heavy!!"). LOL. A reliable, dedicated breeder is an invaluable part of owning a dog, even when the dog is older.
Most definitely! A relationship with your breeder is the best thing you could possibly have/get when you purchase a corgi from him/her. Terri, Waffle's breeder, has given me the "call anytime, about anything" pass, and I've had to use it unfortunately! lol. They also want him to visit and they've offered to groom him for free. In addition to this, they'll take him for a little if I have to go on vacation or something. She's the best resource I could possibly have concerning my dog! We've become good friends over these past months and I wouldn't trade that for anything. If I had to choose between Waffle at $300 and Waffle at $700 with the ability to have a great relationship with Terri, I'd pick Terri every time.
I live in Virginia, and got Waffle for a fantastic $700. My breeder normally sells hers for $1000, she said-- hips, eyes, vdw, heart conditions all tested and passed. "A lot of breeders sell for around $1500," she also added. So, $1500 sounds about right. Very pricey. If I hadn't gotten Waffle for $1000 or less, I wouldn't have gotten him. x:
Just be sure you're getting your moneys worth if you're gonna buy him at that price. Tested, shots, food, the works. :0
I got Ginger from a breeder in southern Missouri. She was $600 but if I would have bought her on a show contract she would have been at least double that. I noticed while I was looking that prices vary all across the country, and have gone up quite a bit from when I was looking 5 years ago.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service