We have always fed Frosty Pedigree dog food.  It is what his breeder fed him and I just kept him on it after we brought him home because it seemed to be working just fine.  I have noticed over the last several months that Frosty has become less and less enthusiastic about eating his dog food at meal times.  He gets one cup in the morning and one cup at night.  At first I thought it was because my bag of dog food was getting stale and the stuff at the bottom of the bag tasted gross to him or something.  However, we are on our third bag since I noticed his indifference, and it doesn't seem to matter if the bag is freshly opened or not.

My question for you is this:  Should I switch Frosty to a new dog food that he might like better so he will be more excited to eat it or would it be better for him if I just left him on the old food and insisted he get over it and eat that?  He will still eat his regular food, he just always gives me the "seriously, its this AGAIN?" look and we have to tell him 3-4 times to eat before he'll actually do it.

Views: 541

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd go with your instinct! You could try buying a small bag and adding a bit of a new kibble to the regular food as a topping just to see what he does with it before you decide whether to change. Mine have gotten the same for years but then I changed 3 of them to a different food because they weren't eating the old food and wondered if one especially had an allergy to it. You could also call the company and ask if they have changed any ingredients in the food...I have done that more than once. Good luck!
That's a great idea Jane!  I never thought of asking if they changed ingredients, but that would make a lot of sense.  Frosty has never been picky before, he usually hoovers everything, so it has been really strange watching him go off his food.
What I found with the one food I called on was that if (and I can't remember if it was fat or protein content) that they sprayed extra on the outside of the kibble to get it where it should be. It looked a bit different and I wonder if it also affected the taste??????
My guess is he is getting more food than he needs. Try cutting back to 3/4 Cup morning and evening for a few days and see what happens.  If I'm right, he'll be eager for his food.  I would not add goodies to make him eat, this makes for a finicky eater.  Add goodies when you have a dog who eats well and you want to increase the nutritional value and give some taste change, which they love, but not to bribe a dog to eat.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service