fantasy dog: corgi/border collie mix; "border corgi"?

I saw a beautiful dog today, close to my "fantasy dog" in physique, color, temperament.  It was a tricolored shelty/border collie mix.  Coat pattern was almost exactly like our Al, size a bit smaller than your typical border collie, fur intermediate (not wavy or scraggly the way some collies get, but a bit longer than our Pems), very plush but not tangled;  snout more like a Shelty, finer and narrower than a Pem.  A gorgeous animal, very friendly and well-behaved.
It was very much like Al or Gwynnie, but sort of "stretched" in every dimension.
There is this voice that keeps whispering in my ear -- I can't tell if it's evil or inspired, devil or angel -- suggesting that Al & Gwynnie would be really cool with slightly bigger bodies, slightly longer legs, and tails.  that's basically what this dog was.  Usually, my virtue reasserts itself, just in time:  for a city dweller and sometime backpacker/hiker/mountain climber, the small size of the Pembroke has many of the same advantages as it does for the poor Welsh farmer (you don't have to carry/pay for as much food).  Shorter dogs are less intimidating to small children.  Short legs may be a advantage on very steep terrain (the Pembroke Welsh Marmot).
But the idea is there.
Does anybody know a Permbroke/border collie mix ("Border Corgi")?
I'm thinking, "Pembroke personality, slightly larger physique".
Am I thinking, "Cardigan"? 
I know there's at least one Border Cardi on this site.  Any Border Pems?

Views: 2455

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been blessed to own many dogs... including an aussie ( my husbands dog when we married). Loved our Aussie he lived to be 18, yes, I said 18. I do not know that I have ever had a more high maint. dog. For a period of time when we first married we lived on a farm, our Aussie and bulldog/chow mix had full run of a great deal of acreage, he was a happy mutt. He was blessed with what I have heard Pem owners refer to as a "glamour coat". We typically had to do a major clipping in the spring to keep him comforable. Living in the deep south i simply felt sorry for him. When we moved into town he adapted but was very combative to kids, bicycles and anything that did not settle well with him. I say this because I believe that border collies, and Aussies are not as "adaptable" when compaired to corgis. Corgis seem to adapt better to more confinded situations but willing to exercise on whatever level you wish to push them. I have found them to be the true chameleon of herding dogs....as adaptable as all of the doggy reviews stated.
I agree Michelle they are very adaptable!
John, was looking at some of your gorgeous photos and see captions that say conjoined corgwyn.. I know this sounds stupid, but are these dogs realy physically conjoined? Or is this just A FIGURE OF SPEECH? iF IN FACT THIS IS A REAL CONJOINED TWIN IN DOGS, I will have about a thousand and one questions for you!!
Yes. Siamese puppies, surgically separated, but then -- you know how dogs will roll in ANYTHING -- I'd spilled some Super-Glue in the workshop, so they're stuck for life.
People who know me never believe anything I say. :)
They do look good together, if I do say so myself.
yes , they are beautiful pups.. but I couldnt figure out whether they just loved each other or were really physically conjoined... there have been instances of such conjoined dogs, unfortunately they don't usually survive unless can be separated..
Are the two in the photo even related???
Gwynnie's littermate is Al's mom.
well, I went with a friend yesterday from northern Mn to southwest of chicago to rescue a bully( spud mackenzie- bull terrier) and at a rest stop on the way back I was "found by Qwinnies "other siamese twin" lol a 5 month old tri - OMG soooo cute looks just like yours !!! Owner said she came from Iowa , and was BEAUTIFUL!!!! She spotted me - or I spotted the bunnie butt - from across a field and I said to my friend, look I see a bunnie butt and at that the little wiggle butt dragged her owner boinging thru the grass right to me HAHAHAHAHAHAHA What a wonderful little pup he had, and I wish I had taken a photo!! He said they were from Minneapolis MN and I told him to come to MyCORGI.com hahahahahahaha. Today I will be recovering my but from a 24 hour driving marathon!
John, forgive me, but I think you're nuts. Do not let the dark side win you over. You know you love your cogis' legs. Do you really want to live with counter-surfers? Imagine if they could reach the doorknobs? Be careful what you wish for.

Julia

Of course, that urine sample problem I'm having might be a bit easier....
*laughs* You're like me. Active. You hike, you travel with your dogs. Honestly, I love my Pems. They're charming, funny, happy little guys who go a mile a minute and love life.

However, the Cardigans -- they are simply so similar to my Shepherds I am head over heels with the breed, and wish I'd had them twenty years ago, I could have saved myself a lot of wear and tear shuffling dogs into the bathtub.

You want to hike, they keep up with you. They outclimb and outjump my Pems, and are thinkers -- if there's a big obstacle, you can see the wheels turning on how they're going to get over it. The Pems have longer legs, and shorter bodies (remember, my Pems are uh, rather suspiciously bred, both of them... ;) ) but the Cardis are far more active, and agile, strangely enough.

However, their personality is, as Joanna said -- like a good German Shepherd. I actually refer to them as my "Sawed-Off- Shepherds."

They are not going to usually greet strangers with the enthusiasm of a Pem. In fact, Simon is actually a far more reactive guard on the trails than my Pems ever were -- if someone approaches that he doesn't know, he will step between them and me and watch them intensely. If they say "Hi" or even smile and wave, he comes back and just ignores them. If they move toward us without a sound, the warning barks start; he is being serious about it and letting them know that he can see what they're doing, and he is not amused. If they stay on their side of the trail, he watches them until they're gone.

On the other hand, his brother is uh, the Anti-Cardi and wags himself in half, hoping for a pat. ;) He still is aloof though -- he comes up to you on his own happy terms. If they come to him, he's often not interested in them. If he decides he doesn't really like you, off he goes, without a second glance, where the Pems are happy to sit and get petted all day, haha.

That said, on lead, in the city, they're perfect gentlemen. They're not throwing themselves at strangers for affection, but they don't mind the petting at all. But if you're used to a friendly, super-outgoing dog, they're not going to be that way. They do, however, instantly mind their own business when we're walking, or with multiple other dogs around them.

I really like them, but remember, I had a whole lot of Shepherds before, and to find that same personality that sort of meshes well with mine without all the er... Shepherd mental hangups (hahaha) is pretty darn awesome. They're the easiest dogs I've owned - it says something when my husband is all right with having two more Cardis, and he's not exactly a dog person, oddly enough. ;)
Oh , someone at the dogpark today had what they called-- wait for it- a "BORGI"
Half border collie and half pembroke welsh corgi.I asked further and apparently this was not an intended match. Neighbors raised Border collies, and the male got loose and traveled they think about 5 miles to find the female pem in heat, in an enclosure which he promptly jumped into and owners ran out to find them "connected"
The resulting pups were found pet homes, but this one looks just as you describe but with foxy pem head, length of body like pem lower to ground, but built more like a border and had a full tail. Fur was more like the corgi, but but coloring more like the border, except that it had the red of the tricolored pems and a "redhead complete with the sheltie looking "widows peak" Full on bunny butt temprament, but intensity of a border collie to task at hand. Really impressive package, and looked totally like a model stock herding dog, but she said the litter wasn't consistant. Some were sorta all corgi some sorta all border and a couple mixed traits... And as she said the match was not intentional and she was fortunate that all were born healthy and no harm done.. She will not go make coffee and leave female in heat in the enclosure again!! Go figure, who would think ?? LOL
Ad for a dog: "...dam is AKC registered GSD; sire is Superdog (able to leap high fences in a single bound...)"
Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing what Pembroke Border Corgi would look like. Anne pinkerton has a Border Cardi (this is the dog that the Border Shelty reminded me of).
I've been wondering how the genetics of these dwarf-dog mixes work out. The dwarfing gene is a FibroblastGrowthFactor4 retrogene, and presumably the dwarfed breeds are homozygous (two copies) for it, so mixes would be heterozygous (one copy) and how dwarfed they are would depend on how dominant or penetrant the gene turns out to be. Hybrids wouldn't breed true until they were homozygous for this gene or lost it entirely, is my guess.
I used to see a dog that looked like a Border Cardi -- halfway between the two -- but that particular dog was like a spork (crummy spoon, crummy fork), not the best of both worlds.
Naw, I wouldn't want to change anything. But I wish I knew some Cardis, out of curiosity; I'd like to knw what the personality differences are.
Borgis! When I was doing research a few years ago on Pembrokes *wanted to get my first* I ran into this picture of this gorgious BEAST... they Labeled it Borgi... Border Collie/Corgi mix
It inspired me more to do some reasearch.. though now when i think about it... they kinda look like Cardigans lol

The big ears and long tail~

I actually wanted one of those to run side my first Corgi...

Oh well Ace is happy with his Pittbull Buddy and his Grandma Golden Retriver mix~

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service