Hopefully new Corgi owner looking for an opinion!

Hello everyone! My boyfriend consented to get me a Corgi as a Christmas present as we've been wanting a second pup for awhile now (our other dog is not a Corgi, but she is adorable too!). I live in an odd area and don't know of any breeders, nor do I care if my dog has papers or anything. I just want it to look and act like a Corgi.

I found this ad on the WantAdDigest. It says Purebred, but I wanted another opinion from all you experts ;) since a couple people I've showed it to said the parents look a little odd. Just wanted some other views before I drive there since it's quite far for me.

Thank you in advance for any feedback! This seems like a great community & I look forward to being a new puppy mommy soon! :D

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would really recommend looking for a reputable breeder in your area rather than buying online from a backyard breeder. You can search local breed clubs for reputable breeders. Also, there are TONS of corgis in rescue, unless you are dead set on a puppy. Both parents look corgi, but not necessarily well bred corgi. Backyard/irresponsible breeders often produce pups with many health problems and will provide no support once you buy their puppy. It is really worth having a reputable breeder to buy from that way you know the puppy is in good health and you have the support of the breeder with any/all corgi puppy problems that will arise, it will cost more but is worth it in my opinion for peace of mind

Thanks for the response. It says in the ad that their health is guaranteed, if I do end up getting a puppy from them could I have them sign something backing that up? Or will it have no legal value..

It may not have legal value but it will give you peace of mind that they are breeding and raising puppies they believe to be healthy. There are many  posts on here about reputable breeders, and like Jane said, ask questions. You want to at least buy from somebody who knows a bit about corgis! I've seen "breeders" post ads for "welch corgies", when I see stuff like that I run! lol

You could ask them to send you a copy of their health guarantee. I see they have tails and I don't dock but there is a difference between just "not" docking and doing so on purpose. Ask questions and see how they respond...if they care they will try to awnser them all also. They do "look purebred" but again ask more questions. Ask about the parents and why they bred them...was it just so Susie could have pups or are they doing something (agility,show,therapy etc) with their dogs also. What are their temperments etc. Can you meet the parents?

I think it's a personal choice. Me personally, I want a good, reputable breeder because I want a puppy, and a good breeder will ensure that you get a healthy, happy, stable puppy. If you don't care about that so much.. Eh. I mean, I guess that those puppies will still need homes too.. Good luck

I agree with what has been said. Getting a dog with papers doesn't make a good or bad dog, but getting a puppy from an experienced breeder will give you a better chance at a deliberately healthier and more well-rounded animal (we all hope anyway). If you are looking for breeders in your area, I would recommend starting here for Pembrokes (http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/memberlist.cfm) or here for Cardigans (http://www.cardigancorgis.com/BreederDirectory.asp). Even if the breeders in your area do not have any available puppies, they may be able to direct you to another reputable breeder who does. Always ask lots and lots of questions before bringing home anything. The person you get your dog from should ask you a lot of questions too. Good luck!!

Just a side note... have you read this recent discussion? I think it is really awesome and everyone should read it before getting a corgi puppy - http://www.mycorgi.com/forum/topics/so-you-think-you-want-a-corgi

There are quite a few breeders on this list within a couple of hours from you. I personally would avoid any ads like the one you posted as they are usually backyard breeders who do no health testing or studying of the breed at all.

http://pwcca.org/memberlistaction.cfm

Oh and one more thing...you really should care if the dog has AKC papers. Usually when people are advertising unregistered puppies (or CKC, APR, or ACA registered), it's because they are breeding dogs that were sold on limited registration. That means the original owner/breeder did NOT want that dog creating puppies for one reason or another. A reputable breeder wouldn't breed unregistered dogs because it does nothing to further the breed.

I always send my puppy contract/health guarantee for them to look over as it does have a clause saying the dog must be returned to me if they can no longer keep the dog.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service