Hi:  I've been walking my 10 month old Pembroke Corgi twice a day,  for about 20-30 minutes each walk.

Now that there is so much frozen snow I can't let her do much running,  but when the weather was nicer I did,  and when it is again I do plan to let her do a lot of running around in the grass (2-3  x per day,  about 20 minutes ea time).

She runs around the condo a bit each day,  but is in a playpen ( a playpen made just for dogs)  the rest of the time,  with a bed and bones and toys,  because she gets into a bit of trouble if loose for too long!

For now,  is 2/ 20+ minutes of walking time per day enough,  do you think?  Thanks.

Here is her playpen:

Views: 1921

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice Pen, I've never seen those before and with a nice padded matt on the bottom it would do just fine.    But a chewing corgi could make a mess out of that plastic..    :)

It's really up to the dog and the owner to decide how much but pushing your little one to go the distance will put a smile on his face.    Take it like this, at 10 months Wally did a 8km trek in the National Park last summer and we'll continue going over and over.    He surprised me so much as to what he could do, as he had me at the end of the leash the entire way around, downhill, rocks, tree stumps and uphill.    He loves agility tests and those trails are the best for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeppvNU5ao0

Spring time, we'll get in the trails again and doing about 4-5km is easy for him and he takes a good nap afterwards.   I live about 15min from work and sometimes I leave a bit early, pick him up and come back to get my wife from work.   She drops us off downtown and we walk home by the walking trails.

There's just something special in watching the Sunrise in the morning and being with your pup at Sunset and arriving home when It's dark.    :)

My recommendation:

Do as much as you can for him and with him now as he might slow down a bit later on, although I would doubt that...  :)   He will let you know when he's tired and it'll be good excersise too.    I haven't caught the flu or cold ever since I've had Wally, as my immune system is much stronger now from being in all weather, playing with other dogs and socializing a local dog parks.

Last, if you can afford it, bring him to a local kennel during 2-3 times per week for 8 hours.  It'll give him a chance to run, play and socialize with other dog.   Basically having a chance "to be a dog" and not just around humans all the time.  

Good luck and enjoy the outdoors and play time.

ps..  Oh and yes, feeding through those rolling balls is a great way to get him moving during his meals.    Wally gets it via his Blue one twice a way and loves chasing after it.   If it's caught in a corner, he'll pick it up and place it in an open space to continue pushing it...    lol

PS:  Thanks for the YouTube of Wally.  He looks like a beautiful Cardigan?(  Or just a Pembroke with a tail?)  Very agile and energetic indeed :)  Those trails are not easy ones!

He's a Cardigan Welsh Corgi with brindle color, that's just beautiful in the sunlight.

He discovered the water is not threatening that day..   :)

You can check my youtube page as their plenty of clips of our outings...

Thanks-- I will do so.  Glad he came to see the water as fun. :)

IMO a dog should only be confined when you're gone or simply cannot watch them. Sorry to be harsh but there is no reason a 10 month old dog should be stuck in a pen while you sit and watch TV. If she needs training you need to step up and do it. Put a leash on her in the house so you can correct the chasing behavior, and use the pen only when you're gone.

Thanks,  everyone. Your points are all very well-taken.

Yes,  I am going to let her out and put the playpen away.   She can have her bed where she can go and have quiet time.  She will be taken out a lot on hiking trails when the weather finally becomes spring like (right now just snow that is hard and impacted and too slippery).   She can play with other dogs then as well.

The cats know how to jump up on tables to escape her.  She listens to "No"  but not so much regarding the kitties,  but in time hopefully she will.  Thank you all again..

:-)

Thank you for being open to advice and willing to make some changes! Puppies can be exhausting because when they are awake they are moving, especially if they are high-energy.

We used a crate at night and an exercise pen during the day while we were at work. I came home every day at lunch so pup would have a half-hour playtime. Once we got home in the evening, he was only in the pen while we were cooking or if I needed to pay bills. Otherwise, we were playing or training or walking. And yes, that meant I didn't watch any movies, go out much, or enjoy my own hobbies til he was around a year old and safe to be left alone all day, because he was spending too many hours confined as it was and I owed it to him to let him play when I was home. It meant I learned how to play tennis ball with one hand while reading or watching tv.

The nice thing is, the more active time you spend training and playing, the more you can see them start to learn what you mean by your hand gestures, words, and facial expressions. They really tune into you and become your partner and that is the best part about owning a dog.

Thank you.

Yes,  she is exhausting but I have never regretted getting her,  as she is so sweet and smart and cute.  Already with our walks she is learning to "wait"  and "heel"  and when she picks up a stone,   to "drop".

Right now I have had her loose all day and although Ms. Kitty hissed and spit,  she remains perched on the table and safe, LOL.   The male cat is wary of her and remains upstairs.

The play pen worked when she was small and took long naps (sometimes for 4 hours)  but I will admit that at 10 1/2 months,  she has outgrown it  -  not physically,  but psychologically.  

I had been lengthening her walks and she does seem calmer when she has had a 40 minute brisk walk with running and sniffing.  

I do have to get work done on the computer and I mainly put on the TV so there will be some lively background noise for her.  When it is warm out I can open the deck door and she can have sunshine and birds. (this is when I cannot actually be walking her or playing with her).  Corgis are a lot of work but they compensate with their beauty,  comical nature,  and keen intelligence.    Thanks again for your input.  I think it is commendable that you and your husband were willing to sacrifice for your Corgi,  as we all must be.  

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service