Has anyone acquired a Pembroke puppy from Immer Essen Farm in Athens, TN ?

Views: 4297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I take it Livvy is a female ?  : ) Would you say that when you have more than a couple of dogs you're dealing with sort of a pack mentality ?  What I mean by that is do you think both males and females behave differently when they're part of a larger group of dogs then they would if there were only two or three dogs in a home setting ?  Years ago we had a five year old male terrier mix dog we had rescued and then 8 years later we added a male west highland terrier puppy and there were never any problems.  Two years later the terrier mix died at old age.  A year later we got another male west highland terrier puppy, and again, no problems.  Four years later we got Winston as a puppy and everyone got along without any problems.   The obvious trend was that we kept introducing docile little puppies and continued to give the adult dogs lots and lots of attention.  Eight years later the 1st west highland terrier, who was almost 15 years old, died at old age.  Five months later we rescued a female 6 month old beagle fox hound and the male west highland terrier could have cared less and Winston loved her.  Keep in mind we've always had cats as well and they all got along fine.  Before we moved to Tennessee our cats were always indoor pets.  Currently we have two neutered male cats that are really affectionate and stay indoors at night and spend most of their time outside during the day.  At this point, it's hard to imagine that we'd have any problems bringing a male or a female corgi puppy into the family but you never really know until you do it.  I almost think that our spayed 2 year old beagle fox hound who is a real sweet heart might really take to a puppy.  On the other hand, since she's never been exposed to a puppy of any kind, she might find it annoying.  Would a 2 year old spayed female dog, in your opinion, know the difference between a male and a female puppy ?  (That's probably a dumb question isn't it ?) We really want a male corgi.  I've already told the breeder we want a male, red and white, and she knows that Winston was basically really laid back and followed me everywhere and that I'm hoping for a male with a similar type personality.    She knows about all of our other dogs and cats and their ages and that they're all spayed and neutered but I'll be sure to talk to her more about what I'm hoping for in a male.   My husband and I have talked extensively about why we want another Corgi and we agree that what we really loved about Winston was not just his unique personality but also everything about the breed.  There's just something really special and wonderful about Corgis.  (Sorry this is so long  I know you've got important stuff you need to do in your life aside from reading my looong messages)  Don't feel that you need to reply any time soon.

I think it all revolves around the owner...mine don't usually have any signs of a pack mentality in fact Sage and a few others would never think of such a thing. Livvy is a very strong female and wants to be dominant...her personality is that she wants to be top dog and that's it most of the other dogs just ignore that in her. Does it work usually not. All my dogs are used to a newbie(rescue) here for a bit...my husband...that's another story...my pups are trained in by all my adults and once they are old enough they become somewhat a part of the group so I think that the sex does not matter as much as personality. You should be able to find a pup that fits the laid back male! As for cats on Tues I am picking up 6 humane society farm cats(the lady who owned them died). I expect after a few weeks and slow introductions that all will be well. Wynn and Sage are my heartdogs...they just want to be with me and are sooooooooo great but then Teddy and Wiley(rescues) are too...sorry I'm getting off the subject! get what you want:)

Joyce....last year I was to get an obese Corgi from a breeder and we were going to help him lose weight. 2 weeks before he was suppose to come he died of a bowel obstruction...I searched endlessly to find another corgi rescue and found Tank...he's a mix but I had to replace that void and figured he would be a very hard dog to place as when I picked him up that day(we had met him b/4) The woman was so very upset to find out that he was going to his 4th home:( Time and training have paid off and he and Sage are best buds!

Out of curiosity how much did the overweight Corgi weigh ?   It's been my experience that a very high percentage of Corgi owners over feed their dogs.  In fact, the appropriate amount of food, once they're beyond the puppy stage, seems like such a small amount, I'm sure that's why some people feed too much.  Those pleading eyes get to people every time.  We fed Winston a precise amount of food morning and night with green beans added, and gave him carrots and frozen pumpkin cubes for occasional snacks and still he was on the high side of what I thought he should weigh.  The vet tried to tell me Winston was a larger sized Corgi, and he may have been, and as consistently as I tried to keep his weight down, he didn't lose easily.   Like people, these days, pets are often overweight and everyone would be better off if they were a little bit lighter.  : )

I have an idea he was close to #50. He looked so sad and I always felt an urgancy to get him "sooner", I will always wonder if I could have if he would still be alive. He was so sweet and I think he had an eating problem but they didn't know this till after he died:( May he RIP!

My thought is I have no doubt you could have helped that sweet little Corgi to lose weight, but its likely the underlying problems that resulted from the excess weight might have been harder to deal with.  In Winston's case, our vet told us he felt Winston had an underlying metabolic problem which caused him to gain weight more easily than other dogs and made it harder for him to lose and it was also his explanation for why Winnie developed diabetes.  He weighed in the high thirties as an adult dog. He was a lot taller than the average Corgi; about 14 inches which would explain some of his extra weight, but still ideally he should have weighed less.  However, he was a very happy, active little guy and we had absolutely NO idea whatsoever he had any underlying health issues, so it's likely that any overweight Corgi probably has underlying problems that have developed over time. It's better to help our dogs be as healthy as possible right from the start, or in the case of a rescue, from the time they become ours.  Which leads me to a question.  What do you feed your dogs ?  We were feeding Winston and our other two, California Natural lamb and rice dry dog food.  I started our Westies on it years ago due to the fact that it had very few ingredients and it was recommended for westies who can easily develop skin problems due to allergies.  The never had skin problems, but after Winnie developed diabetes and I looked closer at the food I realized it had way too many carbohydrates.  I really don't understand why dog food companies, even the ones that use high quality ingredients, think dogs need so many carbohydrates.  Thanks, Joyce

Carbs are cheap...companies want to make a profit:( I feed my dogs TOTW for Bella as she has some food issues and the rest get Canidea(all life stages) and both are grain free. Canidea now has a puppy food . If feeding these you need to watch the protein content of TOTW as they have some super high levels and pups should only have about 24%. I feed mine a handful 3 times a day which is a bit more than a cup for my active dogs but of coarse pups will need more. Armani my Aussie is slightly overweight even on this food so he only gets the same as the corgis. Poor boy! There are several discussions on food on this sight. My corgis all weight between 25-30#'s but all stand 12". Mine get a bit of cheese for a treat or Charlee Bears which has very few calories and then veggies. Good food does pay off.

I'm still using California Natural but plan to change.   Even their grain free version is over 50% carbohydrates which is ridiculous. I want to make a decision before we get the new puppy.

Which type of the grain free Canidea do you buy? : http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html  They have grain free pure, and single grain.   I was thinking that if I switched to one that has lamb in it there would be less of a transition.  

This website gives Canidea it's highest rating.  I like it because the carbohydrates are low but the protein isn't ridiculously high.   The bottom line is I'm looking for a recommendation from a responsible pet owner that has Corgis.  If you like it and your dogs like  it, that's good enough for me.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/canidae-single-grain...
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/canidae-dog-food-gra.../

I buy our dog food from Petflow.com and I see quite a few types of Canidea but not a puppy food.  It seems like a lot of them say they're for "all life stages" as you mentioned your food  is.  If I feed that to a puppy and choose one that has no more than 24% protein that would be fine, right ?  http://www.petflow.com/explorer?x=29&y=10&search=canidae+

Thanks,

JOYCE

Sorry Joyce, It's the TOTW that now has the puppy formula(Corgis need large breed puppy food). I wish I could feed TOTW to all my dogs but it get's a bit expensive although I have. I also like that I can switch the protein if I want. I use the regular all life stages of Canidea, not single grain for the pups and add a TBSP of plain organic yogurt every 3 days and get them used to frozen green beans,apples and good veggies as they get a bit older. Yes, I see the carb count for the Canidea but it's not corn and my dogs don't have a weight problem so I feel comfortable with the Canidea plus around here my vet orders it and it's actually cheaper then pet stores:) I have tried others but I keep going back to these 2.

PS

Joyce, I just read about Winston and my heart goes out to you. I have found over my 40 years of owning Corgis, that nothing helps me recover from grieving over the loss of my "heart dog" is a puppy. To me it is testimony of my love and feeling of loss that moves me to begin searching for another Corgi. It's different with each loss. But trust your heart. You will know when the time is right for you, and it sounds like it's now. I got Lucy immediately after losing Dylan, 14. Best decision I ever made.

Keep us posted.

Wendy,

Thank you SO much for everything you shared with me.  We are definitely ready to search for our next Corgi.  What we're wondering about now is male verses female.  Winston was our little boy, and we loved his personality, so our tendency is to want another male, but I feel that we should be open to a male or a female.  Perhaps my flexibility stems from the fact that if there are red and whites in an upcoming litter at any of the breeders we're considering, and there are only females, we're going to have a hard time saying no just because there are no boys : )  What can you tell me about what you've experienced as differences between males and females ?   To me it seems that everything we love about corgis is due to the breed and not their gender.   Thanks,  JOYCE

Both our dogs are from Immer Essen.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service