As many of you may know in washington state there is over 65 wild fires. I'm in the main major area of the fire... Wenatchee Washington. Our mountains are on fire and the air quality has been moved to
Hazardous schools have been closed an people have been evacuated from there homes due to the fire. Please if anyone has any suggestions on to how I should go about this with the dogs and the air quality and what to look out for. Many of us are having to wear masks including myself due to asthma and the extreme smoke. When you drive you any even see infront of
You.

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, I am soooo sorry. I can only think of a couple things that might help would be to have a cotton bandana around incase things really got bad to slip over his snout and thank goodness at least with house fires that they stay to stay low so maybe it's a bit better for a dog down low? Keep the bandanas around the dogs neck for easy access and if you have to leave by car can you have a kennel in it with a blanket to throw over it or maybe even in the house? Is there in interior room of you home that doean't have as much smoke leakage or a basement???? Have some water in pitchers or jugs incase you loose electricity...just some thoughts.

Good luck and keep us updated!

One year there were terrible wildfires in the next county and the wind blew the smoke to us. There was ash everywhere and you could see the smoke just 5 feet away, so I know how you feel. We have air conditioning and kept the doors and windows closed and stayed inside as much as possible. Do you have a place to go if you get evacuated? An emergency plan is always a good idea, and as Jane said, be packed and ready to go. Best of wishes to everyone affected by the fires.

Thanks for all your replies. We have many other fire fighters and helicopters from national guard coming from different towns to help fight fires. The Wenatchee lightning storm caused over 65 wild fires from here in Wenatchee out a few miles away. It's almost scary outside like the movie the mist! We are prepared for the worst we have all our important documents including the dogs... All there vaccination papers and Sammie adoption papers. Milo is the one seeming effected by the smoke... Sneezing a lot. Our valley was supposed to be in te upper 90s today but is in the 50s due to the smoke. Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Make sure your animals are under tight control!  The last thing you want is a lost/panicked dog or cat during an evacuation.  Note how moving is a classic scenario for losing a cat.  Conceivably, if things get too weird or strange, your dog could spook and run off.   Before, during, after evacuation, make sure your animals don't get loose. 

If you might need to relocate, prepare an evacuation kit now:  food, pet food, water, clothing, books, small precious items, lights, medicines, anything NECESSARY.  Make arrangements with a friend to stay with?  Just keep calm and carry on.  Don't freak.  It's clear thinking that gets you through emergencies.  Keep your cool, and look out for people who might be losing theirs.

Seattle dawns and sunsets are hazy red, and I thought I could smell the smoke yesterday.

Here's an excerpt from our aborted 9-day backpacking trip Sept 1-7, before Al lamed-up.  We hiked through (and camped in) an extensive and very hot burn perhaps 5? 10? years old, ghostly silver snags and no new trees coming up yet:

---------------------

May I rant? 
If you camped at Holman Pass 9/1/12, 100 yards W of the PCT jct., you did not put out your campfire.  I smelled the smoke.  The stones were still hot at 2:00 PM.  I found dry ashes and coals hot-to-touch between the rocks that had never been touched by the meager water you put on it.  I put almost all my water on it.  Passersby contributed their water.  The woods were a desert-dry tinderbox.  Had a wind come up, it could have fanned this into a wildfire.  That’s how Big Hump Fire started exactly a year ago.  As I write this (9/13/12), 100 wildfires are burning in Washington.  You can smell the smoke in Seattle.  Red sunrise/sunset. There was no need at all for this substantial fire.  I spent that night at 6590’ comfortably with no shelter, no tent, no wind, no fire.  It was summer weather.  You built a large toy fire where there was no water to control it, when you did not need it.
I am 60years old.  Regrettably, this is not the stupidest fire behavior I have seen in my life, but it’s a contender.  Get a stove.
I took off for Rock Pass with 1 pint of water left and no idea where the next water would be.  Thanks.    [end of rant]

---------------------------

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8001192

Ya there is a lot of ungreatful people that don't help the issues going on... One of our mountains called birch mountain was blocke off for the rest of the year and a guy decided to drive through the fenced area and go anyways... Well his vehicle caught on fire causing another fire in our mountains!!!! Im glad you understand since your so close to me!!!!

We recently went through the Waldo Canyon Fires in Colorado Springs. As others have said, limiting activity and keeping doors and windows closed helps.  What I found beneficial was a humidifier as it precipitated some of the particles in the air. I just used a vaporizer like you use in a sick child's room.  Fires really make you appreciate what a breath of fresh air is worth! Also can't say enough about the valor and efficiency of the firefighters and the support and caring generated within the whole Community.  Hard times do seem to bring out the best in people. It was heartwarming ( in the current political environment ), to see that neither political affiliation, color, sex, religion or sexual orientation made a hoot of difference to anybody.  People just pulled together and helped each other and all our elected officials actually did their job in spades.  Best wishes.

How are the fires?

They seem to be speeding down the back of the mountain instead of the front now. Many of the canyons are still evacuated but we have been getting a slight breeze so it's been blowing a little bit of smoke out of the valley. Not going to speek to soon but seems to be getting better "knock on wood"

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service