My 10 month old corgi has gone through more than 15 dog beds. She eats every one...tears it to shreds. We tried giving her a fluffy bathrug to sleep on instead with no pillow fill, she at that too. And towells are no different. What do we try now? I hate making her sleep on the bare floor with nothing, but I'm getting tired of the expense and the clean up. She is not neglected and gets lots of attention and playtime. What gives???

Views: 5538

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Watch it, mines a bed hog.  He'll lie with his back to me and they push his "dad" over with them big old feet!

Try ; more exercise and a Kong stuffed with cheese or peanut butter and/or kibble (frozen lasts longer). This is a stage usually but can develop into a very bad habit that can endanger her health. Stop giving her anything to sleep on for a while. Exercise and something to do when alone is key to ending this behavior because it usually is a cure for boredom.

The only bed that Baron did not eat in his chewing period was the Boots and Barkley bed from Target.  Thick dog proof cover.  Only downside, it is not machine washable.  Bought the large bed.  Baron was still able to pick up bed and throw it around, but not able to do any significant damage.  Our floors are linoleum, too cold for dog to lay on.

Good Luck.

That sound good. I'll check it out. I was wondering if they make a dog bed made out of kevlar!

Leena did the same thing with her bed.  Have you tried a large pillow (with pillow case)?  We've found that to work for a makeshift bed.  As far as crate boredom, which I chalk this kind of behavior up to, we're still working on that ourselves.  Leena has ruined all but one of the many toys we've bought her over the past 8 months.

Our 2 have blankets in their crates.  Lilly was shredding them (she even got a hold of a sleeping bag that was sitting too close to the back of her crate, chewed a big hole in it and pulled out the stuffing.  Brody is very particular about his blanket, always neatly folded and if it needs to be washed he won't go in his crate.  Lilly on the other hand always has her blanket in a jumbled up pile and it has chewed up spots on it, but I do believe that at 3 years old she's finally stopped.  So she'll maybe get a new one for Chrsitmas.

What about putting a bully stick in the crate at bed time or some other more enticing chew toy?  My breeder warned me that Ralphie may chew up his bedding but luckily when we brought him home that is one of the few things he didn't try to chew up.  I try to get all his energy out before he sleeps then he just konks out when it's bed time.  He used to sleep in his crate w/ the door open. Now he's been sleeping in our bed with us starting at 7 months old.  He still rips up every stuffed toy he has, as well as chews on our bath rug from time to time. He tried to chew our living room rug but a few "eh eh" or "no's" stopped him.

Frosty was a horrible shredder when we brought him home (he was 1 year old). We just used a large old towel and replaced it if he shredded it too bad. He eventually outgrew the urge to shred things

What about the dog beds they use at animal shelters?  I am blanking on the name, but the are just blue fabric supported up above the ground by pvc pipes (or that's what they look like)  They have to be fairly indestrucable with all the dogs they go through.

Our local non-kill shelter uses "Kuranda" beds also. But the standard dog bed from them is $70 for a large (40x25) and $85 for an extra large (44x27).  But they do claim to be chew proof.  I've been thinking about one, but I've always wondered about if it would be good with a corgi's short legs. Anyone have one for their corgi?

They also have a crate dog bed large for $74. It has shorter legs for being in a crate.

That's what I was thinking of yesterday.  Thanks.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service