So, I know the US doesn't have any standard for undocked dogs.  The UK and AUS have the statement, "Set in line with topline. Natural carriage above topline when moving or alert."  

The Cardigan standard is a little more in-depth in the UK and AUS, and much more in-depth for the US which states, "set fairly low on body line and reaching well below hock. Carried low when standing or moving slowly, streaming out parallel to ground when at a dead run, lifted when excited, but never curled over the back. High tail set is a serious fault."

Does anybody know if non-English language standards that do not allow tail docking (such as Finnish or Swedish) list what the Pembroke tail is supposed to be shaped like--something similar to the Cardigan US standard?  I am just curious, because from these three standards, is an undocked Pem supposed to have a curled tail, a straight tail, or nine tails stemming from one base?

Or, if you don't know the standards, what kind of tail do you see undocked Pems as having, how long is it, etc?

Views: 3200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Potus, his parents and all his brothers and sisters (including his 3 'half-sibling' litters) all have their tails, and I have seen quite a few undocked Pems, what with tail docking being illegal here.

I can't comment as to length as there is no way Potus will let me get a tape measure near him, but I can say that when in the 'relaxd' position, Corgi's tails are much like most long tailed dogs, they hang and drag sometimes and are generally straight. When they are alert/excited, the tail swings up and curls over towards their back. Sometimes when Po is super excited I swear the white tip of his tail almost touches his back. The tail can at times curl to the side, and the end half of the tail my flop around from side to side with the weight of bone & fur. Most tails I have seen are generally a bit fluffy but some 'flat coated (I can't think of what the technical term is, but Corgi's whose undercoat seems quite unexistant) can have a thinner tail. Here are a few photos from Po's family reunion, I think there were just under 20 Corgis, all with their tails, so you can see some examples. On my page there are some more photos, both of Po and his family, if you want to check them out too.Oh and I meant to add, Potus being a boy when he pees (and doesn't lift his leg all the way up, rather just a foot) his tails swings up like a little water lever. Its quite cute.

Oh, and these 2 photos show the tail well,

This one the curl: And this one the more natural, everyday state (taken when he was less than a year old)(Sorry for the huge photos, don't know how to scale down without actually editing my photos)

those photos are wonderful! Thank you for posting them. I don't mind the size, it's better for these tired eyes. If you want to reduce the size, though, just click on the photo after adding it to your post. You should see the little edit marks (those squares) at the corners of your photo. Just click on a corner and drag it towards the middle of your picture and it will make it the size you want.
Thanks :) I'm usually not that bad with technology but am terrible with blog/discussion posts
Personally love the bigger photos, at least the dog shows up really well!
Thanks for posting these and your description! They definitely help to understand the enigma of the Pembroke tail... well, an enigma to someone in a world of tailless Pems!
Hi Waffle-It is so usual for us to see a Pem with a tail. They look good with or without. We love them all. Coco and Dino
Sorry the word should have been unusual. Fingers were not moving as fast as my mind.
Ein has a short tail - about 4 inches so just a touch too long to be considered a bobtail. It is cute and is up when excited but when she books after sheep it gets tucked in. Her cousin has a natural bob, just a little nub. Not sure how to attach a picture to a reply (am on my phone!)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service