I just rescued an 8 week old female corgi. She was kept in an outside kennel since she was born, so obviously she just pees and poops wherever she wants to. I hate to keep her gated in the kitchen so much, but she's ruining my carpet. She even peed on my bed! I am trying to train her to use puppy pads (my mom take care of her most of the day, and she is unable to take her outside) Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It may be the quality of puppy food your using some will produce more waste since you need to feed more of it....If your using a brand such as Purina Puppy Chow...If you switch to say a Wellness puppy formula you should feed less which means less poop...Teagen was a slow poddy trainer and would do much the same when she was that young it just took time/persistence/and alot of patience with her(she to date has been the hardest puppy to poddy train that I've owned)
That's true about what Christy said about the food. Also it is going to take some time as this is puppy training plus trying to untrain the poor habits she acquired being stuck in a pen for all her life. Hang in there...it will get better!
Is anyone else familiar with the book The Monks of New Skete The Art of Raising a Puppy? It has information on crate training. It was recommended when we adopted our first corgi. Odie loved his crate, and did very well with the crate/potty training. We too, separated the crate in half. I cannot say that he ever backed up to the door and pooped through it! I agree, maybe a different food since you are already feeding early in the evening and taking her out multiple times before bed. Congratulations on your new addition, and thank you for rescuing!
Thanks guys! I have her on Iams, but I've heard a lot of good things about Merrick, so I will switch her to that and see what happens. I will look into that book as well. Thanks again!!
Remember to changeher food gradually so she doesn't get sick. Also I have heard wonderful thing about the Monks of New Skete and the dogs they raise but have never read the book!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service