Ellie is almost a year old now and is well house trained as long as we remember to take her out on a schedule.  My problem is, I have never been able to get her to give me any clue when she needs to go out.  We tried the bell on the door thing last winter, every time we took her out we rang the bell and said "outside", but she just ignored it and never did use it.  Even now, when I ask her if she needs to go "outside", she just gives me a blank look and no body language whatsoever.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No suggestions, but it took me forever to figure out what Seanna's clues were.  She'll come, jump up on me, and just stare me down.  I always figured she wanted to play, but she wants to go out. 
Sometimes I get the hint when she gets really rowdy and rough with her play.  She will sit beside me and I reach out to pet her and she spins around and bites at my hand in a rough playful sort of way.
Honestly I still really don't know Lando Oliver and Bootsie clues, I am home so I am able to give them plenty of outside potty opportunities. Should pay attention more.
I just randomly go to the door and ask if they want to go out and if they lay down and stare I know they don't want to go out and if they race out then they do. She is still pretty young and will probably figure out what "go out" means soon. Just make sure you are consistent with your actions. She may just figure that she gets to go out often enough that she doesn't need to communicate with you about it. If you are really worried try teaching her to speak on command and have her speak every time you let her out.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service