Tucker Wont Jump Up On The Couch December 2011...AGAIN October 2013

October 28, 2013

Well, here I am writing about the same thing that occurred almost two years ago to Tucker.  I have been resting him for the last couple of days.  Today I gave him a dose of dog aspirin from petsmart.  As I read through the blog from two years ago, we took him to the vet and he was prescribed Rimadyl for a pulled muscle. 

My question is, do I give Tucker the aspirin for a few more days and let him rest as well or do I need to take him to the vet?  If my memory serves me he was on almost two weeks of rest when this happened last time.   The one time I let Tucker briefly out of the kitchen he wanted to run and play of course.  Do they feel no pain!!  I know they are good at hiding pain.  What to do, What to do!!

December 2011

The other night my daughter noticed Tucker not being able to jump up on the couch.
I also have noticed when he goes up and down stairs he is very careful about going up and down.  The thing I find odd about this , is that he isnt limping or favoring his back leg(s).
When I was touching his back right paw he whined a little.  I then checked his Paw a bit later, but this tume no whining!?

He still will run and play with Lance and doesn't seem bothered by it then either.  If he has a running start he can get up on the couch.

His nails on all paws need to be cut very
 badly.  He is really bad about sitting still for that.  I am wondering if his nails being too long could be affecting his jumping ability?

Would his nails being too long affect his ability to go up and down the stairs as well?

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What did the vet say was the problem last time?  Did he do xrays to confirm a diagnosis?  And yes, long nails will make them more cautious on stairs especially if they are hardwood.  Too much fur between their pads can also make them leary of slippery surfaces....I know it does Max.  I have to trim his paws often, he's a fluffy and gets lots of growth between his pads.

Depending on what the diagnosis was last time you may be better off erring on the side of caution and take him to the vet.

Hi Linda, last time he pulled a muscle, and was put on rimadyl and rested.  With the rimadyl and rest he was fne after that. 

Aww, poor Tucker!  :(  If I were in your shoes and it was Ellie that was acting that way, I would wait a few days (or even a full week) and then see how things go.  Obviously, any worsening of symptoms or development of new symptoms would be an automatic call to the vet's office, but as long as he's not limping around or whining I don't see a reason to rush him there.

Out of curiosity, how safe is that doggy aspirin?  Obviously if it is marketed toward pets there must be some sort of safety standards in place, but I am the type to be wary of OTC pet medications/herbal treatments.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service