Okay, much to my shame, I am Kong-ignorant. When I say this, I don't mean that I have never used a Kong. Quite the opposite, in fact. I have one for each dog and have tried to use them frequently, but they always end up being too hard (or too easy if I try to make it simpler) for the dogs and the two Kongs have been relegated to the back of the cabinet never to be seen again. However, Sky left me a nice new "wall mural" the other day, even with his other puzzler toys out (I think they have gotten too easy for him), and Lyla is needing some mental stimulation as well during her new teenager period to keep her attitude in check and her mind tired.

I got the black Kong extreme for both dogs since they are both so good at ripping off pieces of toys, even those made out of the Kong-like material. I think I got the size Large since the packaging suggested going a size up on aggressive chewers, and both of my kiddos are definitely aggressive chewers! (http://resources.petsmart.com/products/2750604/manuals/2750604_kong...)

I need anyone and everyone's advice on how to make a good stuffed Kong that will keep them occupied, but not be so tough they give up! If I just put kibble in it, too easy, it's done in 5 minutes. If I put anything else in it (including and especially the Ziggy sticks or melted cheese, etc) or anything that is bigger than the hole, it is too hard and they give up. How in the HECK are they supposed to get big things out of that small hole?? Are the Kongs I got just too big/hard for them or am I just doing it all wrong? Thanks!

Views: 851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Callie needs to upgrade on her Kong, she still has a puppy Kong, but since she is now strong enough to squish it and get the treat out so I switched to peanut butter until I have enough money to upgrade. She loves the peanut butter and I've never had a mess after she's had it. It keeps her more occupied with it than with a treat, she wants to get every last flavor of it out. My friends even put the Kong in the freezer with peanut butter when their dog was teething, it also makes the peanut butter last longer.
I use the WalMart el cheapo cheese in a can. Works just fine and is sure less expensive than the stuff Kong sells. You can add some kibble in there also then freeze the whole mess. I have never had a mess on the floor from it. They have to work hard to get it all licked out. I kept about 5 of them frozen when Rosie was confined with her shoulder last fall-spring. It gave her something to do when she really got restless. She is a power chewer and her pink baby Kong is still just fine. Both dogs love them!! When they look too nasty, I just stick them on one of the posts on the top rack of the dishwasher and they come out beautiful and germ free!! Bless the Kong!!
Last night I tried buying a smaller sized Red Kong, and it did seem to help. I made some cheesy scrambled eggs and put them in the Kong and the pups went crazy! I also gave them a little of my dinner of Mac and Cheese in their Kongs. That was a super fun treat for them. I think after reading this stuff on here I'm going to just stick with easy stuff for a while and maybe in the future I'll try something hard in them again.
I just use small or med. kongs kind of a cone shape and put cream cheese or peanut butter in (a spoon works good to get it back further. Someone (sorry can't remember who) said if you freeze this it lasts longer!
I had the same problem with my corgi. Freezing the Kong definitely helps, and as for recipes go, Pika loves the frozen banana treats like someone else said, except I ususally put peanut butter in there as well. Even if I don't freeze the peanut butter, he does a pretty good job of holding the kong and licking it all out without making a mess on the kitchen floor. I have also frozen the kong with oatmeal and some chicken flavoring.

What a cute pic!
Has anyone ever tried putting pumpkin in the kong? Paisley has a pretty sensitive stomach and if I give her anything with dairy in it or peanut butter it usually upsets her tummy. But she loves her pumpkin and it only makes her tummy better! I am just worried that if I try to freeze it, it won't go well... and if I don't freeze it she is done with it in like 30 seconds... so has anyone tried freezing pumpkin?
I browsed the Kong website yesterday, and one of their recipes was with pumpkin and yogurt, so I would think that use, you could use pumpkin. I believe the recipe could be used frozen or not, so I bet it would work either way.
Thanks for starting this post! I have to admit, I am fairly Kong-ignorant, but I am getting re-inspired to buy one for Stella. I bought her the little puppy Kong when I first got her, but the blue and white coloring rubbed off (which made me worry) and then I found out that she didn't like peanut butter, so I haven't bought one since. I think I might try the spray cheese, though, since she likes cheese. However, I was sort of hesitant to buy spray cheese, since it seems like such a processed product. I thought that it would make her sick or just be bad for her system over time. Does anyone else feel this way? And if it's OK, how much is a good amount and how much is too much?
I was concerned about the spray cheeses for the same reason. I'm careful with what food and treats I give Finn so to give him an unhealthy snack wouldn't make sense. I don't know what all is in the cheese though. I guess I'll have to look it up before ruling it out. Peanut butter is high in fat isn't it? Is there a low fat, healthy filling that could be used. I know frozen bananas were mentioned, but what else? If pumpkin could be frozen it seems like it would be good.
When Jack was little we would spread cream cheese or peanut butter on a Kong. But honestly now that he's full grown and neutered, he's on such a restricted calorie diet that I never use it. Occasionally I put some of his regular kibble in a food ball, and sometimes I spread a half-teaspoon of peanut butter on a purple rubber thing we have that's meant to dispense treats, but we no longer own any Kongs.

1 Tablespoon of peanut butter is about 100 calories. Jack's dogfood is 367 calories a cup, and he only gets 2/3 a cup a day, or about 242 calories, plus a couple of treats. 1 TBSP of PB would be about 40% of his total allowed calories for the day.

I think about the only thing I don't like about Corgis is how little you can feed them.
Ah, Busy Buddy is the purple thing that we use instead of Kong. It's a disk shape so it's easier for the dog to get all of whatever you smeared on it without leaving bits behind that can collect germs or mold. And because of the shape, a very tiny amount of peanut butter can be used to cover a large area, making the dog spend a fair amount of time licking.

You can also screw it mostly closed and put hard treats in there, and then they have to push it around to get them out. Because the size of the opening is adjustable, you can make it very easy or very difficult for the treats to fall out. Or put in a few tiny treats that come out easily to get the dog's interest, and then a few larger ones that will take longer. But honestly I only put treats in if I'm there to supervise; I'm afraid a stuck treat + a home-alone dog could lead to frustration and therefore trouble.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Busy_Buddy_Twist_n_Chew_Treat_Dispen...

Jack knows it as "Purple Thing" and when I say "Where's purple thing?" he runs and finds it for me because he knows a treat is coming!

Note: I just checked Amazon and lots of reviewers said their larger dogs were able to destroy this. I can't speak to its durability; Jack has no interest in chewing rubber and never tries. He will destroy stuffed or rope toys in no time but never chewed a rubber toy. Maddie is not much of a chewer at all.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service