Corgi went to beach: now throwing up and pooping out sand

My corgi and I went to the beach yesterday. I guess he ingested a lot more sand then I realized! So he started throwing up last night. I decided to not feed him and just give him water to hydrate. The next morning it was a mess full of throw up and poo (basically brown liquid and sand).

I might just see how he is for one more day and call the vet tomorrow. But I'm worried if it is more serious? Has this happened to anyone before?

I was planning to just hydrate him and not give him food for 24 hours then later give him brown rice and plain boiled chicken (like I read on the internet).

Views: 5181

Comment

You need to be a member of MyCorgi.com to add comments!

Join MyCorgi.com

Comment by Geri & Sidney on July 12, 2011 at 4:18am
I'm glad to hear he's feeling better!
Comment by Michelle Lo on July 11, 2011 at 7:13pm

Hi everyone! Thank you for the advice.

He is much better. After the throw up/pooping diarrhea sand he pretty much emptied and cleared out his system and slept a lot. He drank plenty of water and later on ate his brown rice/chicken meal and he was his usual self wanting to play ball...

Comment by John Wolff on July 10, 2011 at 11:48pm
Lori cleaned a lot of salmon eggs one time, and I dumped the water in sandy soil out back. The dogs were pooping sand the next day.
Comment by Melissa and Franklin! on July 10, 2011 at 1:38pm
Just keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't throw up or have diarrhea continuously (i.e. more than 4 or 5 times in a day). Feed chicken/rice to help sooth his stomach and firm up his stool. Keep lots of fresh water down and like sam said, it may be a good idea to offer low sodium chicken broth or pedialite just to get some fluid in him if he isn't drinking much. Bacterial infection is possible, but most of the more serious infections/diseases take at least a few days to appear (i.e. giardia, leptospirosis, etc) so its likely just too much sand or possibly a partial blockage from the sand. If he continues to vomit and have diarrhea I'd take him to the vet tomorrow for some fluids at least because they become dehydrated quickly. Good luck.
Comment by Sam Tsang on July 10, 2011 at 12:38pm
Hi Michelle, watch him carefully, check his gums, temperature, dogs can dehydrate very quickly with vomit / diarrhea. if he doesn't want to drink water, give a mixture of diluted low sodium broth.
Comment by Michelle Lo on July 10, 2011 at 12:27pm
Well one thing for sure I know he didn't drink any salt water. He was too scared to go in the water so we just stayed on the side. Where he dug a hole and we ran around a bit.
I guess I'll just make sure he is plenty hydrated =/
Comment by Rachael & Waffle on July 10, 2011 at 11:46am

I take Waffle to the beach once a week.  Sometimes diarrhea happens, and vomiting happens even less often.  It usually happens shortly after or while we are still at the beach, and 1-3 times is the norm.  The last time we took him, he had diarrhea all over the beach and we had to leave.  I found out it was because his water bowl at home was empty, and he was insufficiently hydrated.  He drank the salt water (as he usually does) and it just really messed with his insides without any fresh water in there to dilute the salt.  But, that lasted maybe an hour and it started at the beach.  He always ingests sand; if I leave poop in the backyard long enough, sometimes it will turn into little piles of sand.  The sand doesn't seem to bother him much, but he has an iron stomach.

 

If it is still going on, I encourage you to read about the water quality at your beach; perhaps you can call the department of recreation in your city and ask if the information is not freely available online.  This time of year, there are serious algae blooms and they can be toxic to dogs and other animals. Water quality can also be compromised with bacteria.  E. Coli and Enterococci counts are used to estimate the amount of harmful fecal bacteria present in the water and typically are not causative of infections.  It is possible that he has contracted giardia or any number of GI infections from the water, however.  If he has a sensitive tummy, it could just be the salt water wreaking havoc on his system.  But, after this long, it is probably something more serious.  

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

 

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service