Mochi has never worn a collar for her whole 3 months. I went to Petco and bought her a small size collar and a name tag for her to start wearing. When I got home I put her new collar on. She started running on the sides of the walls and the couches, running at a real low stance, kind of like crawling, trying to get the collar off i guess. Then she hides. Whenever I call her name she just stays in her hiding area. When I go pick her up
she looks scared and she starts shivering a little.
I took off her collar, but she was bummed out the whole day. She just slept, she didnt even want treats, or to play catch. I was really bummed out that she was bummed out from her collar.

any suggestions on my collar issue? I know she has to wear one. anyone know any positive methods I could use instead of the "just suck it up and make her use it" deal.

Views: 398

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We just followed the suck it up and make him use it deal with Owen :-) He got used to it. If we take it off for a bath or something it can be a big deal but we just try to make that a positive experience much like we would for grooming
I would try a harness. My dogs seem to like the harness better and it does not pull them by the neck. Holly was afraid of the collars because it was pulling her by her neck. Good Luck. :)
I wouldn't leave a harness on all day long though like you can with a collar. Puppies tend to want to chew at harnesses and can really hurt themselves if it gets caught.
thanks for the reply back guys :). I will definitely keep those in mind.
does anyone else have any other ways? :)
What we did is we put it on our Mochi starting for like 15 min each day give her treats and stuff. And then take it off. Gradually increase the time. She just needs to get used to having something around her neck because she's never had that sensation before. It will just take time. Don't worry so much about it either when you put it on Dog's feed off your anxiety.
Try it without the name tag first and after she gets used to that then put on the tag. I put on a collar on Madog when I got him and didn't get the tag for another 2 weeks. It didn't bother him at all. And definitely practice the whole Caesar Milan calm assertiveness thing. Making it not a big deal is important.
This is what I did with my drama queen and it worked wonders.
Gibson still does not like his collar.. he will sit and look at me with sad eyes and he tries to scratch it off. They get used to them though. I'm having a really hard time with the tag though. It just seems like he's too short for it.. it drags across the floor if he has his head down.. Is it normally hard for short legged puppies to get used to tags?
It is a safety concern to have your dog not wearing a collar, especially if he isn't microchipped yet. I'd use the collar in situations where Mochi has a chance to focus on something else other than what he is wearing (a walk outside, exploring a new room (supervised), meeting other puppies) so he can passively get used to the collar.

Distraction will work great here. Feed treats while putting it on. You can have him correlate getting the collar put on is a good thing by doing it before walks or some other activity he really enjoys doing. That way he realizes "hey, if I sit here nicely and let her put on my collar I get to go outside and play."

Always make sure you take the collar off if he is crated or in an area where he might get it caught on something and you aren't home to watch him.

Both of my dogs now have their collars on unless they're in a crate. Even though both are microchipped I want to make sure there is some other identifer in case something happens. It didn't take more than a week for them to get used to it and now they know collar=going somewhere fun so they LOVE it.

Kudos for looking for a positive solution to the problem.
You also might want to make it a little loser, from the pictures posted on your page the collar looks a little tight. Loosen it until he get used to it.
I know how you feel. when I first brought Kona @ 11 weeks we had a similar issue. Whenever I put a collar on her, she would refuse to go to the way I was heading and pull the other way. She was very very stubborn.

She definitely pulled less with a harness. So for a couple of weeks if I needed to go walk with her, I put a harness on. But eventually I thought she should get used to the collar. She kept on pulling, but one day eventually she gave in.

My suggestion to you. Try the collar on everyday, but for a short amount of time. Be patient, Mochi will eventually give in one day. I was getting really frustrated with her at one point, so I asked puppy class instructor. She said "Just be patient, they all eventually give in. After all, she is only a 12 weeks old puppy!"

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service