How many of you brush your dogs teeth? When I first had my Yorkshire terrier, Toto (bless her soul<3) many years ago, I remember I bought a toothbrush, the kind that are supposed to be easy cause they're small and slip on your finger, even with someone holding her down it was a near impossible task. Now that I've thought about it, Yorkies have a much smaller mouth than a Corgi, do any of you find it a possible task? Is it all that neccessary?

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes it is necessary, good teeth will reduce your dentist visit. Tooth ache will reduce a dog's consumption of food (malnutrition) , also when the dog gets old and if it does not have a good set of teeth, you'll need to soak the food and feed him :(
I try to brush Brians teeth about once a week. In the long run, keeping up with toothbrushing will save you with medical type expenses and will keep your dog healthier. I use the little rubber brush that you slip on your finger first, then do a more thorough brushing with a dog toothbrush (the smaller, the easier to manipulate in a corig's mouth, at least that's my experience). At first, Brian wasn't thrilled, but with routine and a little patience....plus some poultry flavored toothpaste!....he's gotten used to it.
I have a dog toothbrush that is shaped like a ring. He thinks it is some sort of a game when I brush his teeth!
I just use a regular human electric toothbrush on Theo. It's too hard for me to do any kind of brushing motion since he just tries to bite the toothbrush, so that's why I like the electric.
So far Roxi's teeth have been fine but Im sure its about time to start that fun routine :) *we used to do it to the gents lab growing up* Now that I think of it.. it would have been easier having her grow up as a puppy and getting her teeth done.. this'll be fun breaking her in this habit lol.
Check out this blog post from Ivy & Bryson if you're wondering if brushing your dog's teeth is necessary :)
Brush, brush, brush!!!

I rarely brushed my last dog's teeth but I did have her teeth cleaned by the vet. It still wasn't enough to stop her from having horrible breath over the years. And when she grew old, she had other medical issues that may have been compounded by poor dental care.

Now teeth cleanings are more expensive but still necessary periodically. But regular brushing can make those occasional vet cleanings less about handling dental neglect and more about keeping teeth in optimal health. I figure those vet cleanings will be less frequent this time around which is great for the wallet. I'm also glad that Mac won't have to go through general anesthesia as frequently.

With Mac, I'm very determined to ensure his dental health never becomes a problem. At first, I didn't start right away when he was a puppy. Just like my last dog, he was very reluctant and uncooperative with me brushing his teeth. When I started, I did so only occasionally, weekly at best and it was always a struggle.

Then I started seeing signs of plaque and decided I had to step up his brushings. I got him used to the toothbrush. I wouldn't say he's enthusiastic to it now but he tolerates brushing very well. He's still a little bothered with brushing the front teeth and opening his mouth to get to the inner areas but I wouldn't say it's difficult.

I brush Mac's teeth daily now and I think there's a big improvement. He has very healthy teeth and gums with very little plaque.

Al LOVES this toothpaste.  It's cat-poop or dead-earthworm flavor.  The fingertip brush is easier to use.  I'll try the human electric brush; I've been ineffectual with the dog toothbrush.  Maybe I'll try the dog toothpaste myself; if they like it so much, cat poop might not be so bad...

Mouth chemistry varies.  Gwynnie's teeth stay clean.  AL's get dirty and smelly.

John....the cat poop flavor will go over big here!

Tenley....I just had Katie's teeth cleaned.  $296...that also included the testing to make sure she could handle being knocked out, she is 9.  Max has his appointment on 9/9.  I have tried something in the drinking water but only 2 of the cats would drink the water, the other one would drink out of anything soaking in the sink.  Both dogs either tried the pond or a small water garden I have.  I need to come up with another idea.  I saw what it did to one of my cats...bless him.  He suffered from heart disease because of it and we could do nothing about removing his teeth because he could not handle the surgery due to the heart disease.

My first doggie love-of-my-life, Angel, was a Shetland Sheepdog. She had awful teeth and horribly rancid breath, because I never took care of them (I was only 9 when I got her). She lived to be nearly 13, when she developed Congestive Heart Failure. If you know anything about this disease, it's a horrible, slow death sentence. Turns out it may have been caused by her tooth decay... dental health is directly linked to the dog's overall health. It hurts my heart that it may have been prevented had I taken better care of her teeth... So long story short, YES, take care of your dogs teeth. I'll always make sure Bowie has clean, healthy teeth... plus it's more pleasant for you when they give you a kiss!

Totally necessary, and totally possible.  I brush Mishka's teeth every night - only takes a couple minutes now that he's used to the routine.

I use a cheap kid's toothbrush and toothpaste from my vet.  I have to hold his mouth steady and his lips out of the way, which I did too forcefully at first and he struggled a lot.  The trick for us was to not grip so hard - I sit next to him, let him smell the toothpaste, then gently hold his mouth open, without pushing my face or body in front of him.  He still moves his tongue and jaw a bit but holds his head still for me.  Good-tasting toothpaste is a big incentive.  :)

Just so you guys know the OP posted this in 2008...

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service