My husband and I will be moving into our new house soon! The only downfall to the house is that it doesn't have a fenced back yard. We have discussed several fencing options and I'm wondering what your opinion is. Obviously, chain link is the most sturdy and most attractive. However, it is VERY pricy in our area. In addition, I have to do most of the fencing on my own as my husband is starting pilot training and will be very busy. I am a ranch girl and I'm pretty tough but putting up a chain link fence by myself may be a bit challenging. The second option that we discussed is using t-posts and wire mesh (openings of two inches by three inches). Another thing we have to keep in mind is that we will not be at this location for more than two years (more than likely) and it's not practical to take fencing with us. What is your experience/opinion on fencing?

Views: 1442

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think it would be a good solution for you, but we installed an Invisible Fence brand fence last Summer. It works wonderfully and we live in a subdivision with kids and dogs around us. The kids and animals don't come around when we are outside with Cricket and Kirby, but when they do walk by, both our dogs know not to go past a certain point. It can be expensive when professionally installed, but the collars have lifetime warranties and can be passed from dog to dog over time (when one passes away and you eventually may get another one). The only thing I wish we'd done differently was put the wires right at the lot lines as there is a good 6 foot "warning zone" inside of that and consequently, the dogs have lost the "outer rim" of their yard to play in. Just my 2 cents.
We have two corgi pups, one is about five months and the other about three months old. We are planning to install an underground invisible fence system around the perimeter of our yard, about 1/2 acre. Any advice or tips about the installation or training process that we can learn from your experience? We will probably time to train the older one first and wait a couple months until the younger one gains a little weight until we subject her to the training.
Attachments:
We put up a partial privacy fence and then chain link along the back of our property. Now, we do let Grover out in the front yard from time to time, but we don't live on a busy street and he does well with staying with us. With a small pup, it might be difficult to encourage them to stay in the areas you want them too without a fence, just because they haven't yet learned those come and stay commands. Having the fence has been really great for us and I wouldn't want to have our dog with out, but we have a lot of not so nice dogs in our area.
One thing that many folks have mentioned that might be a good option for you guys would be to get a chainlink kennel/run for the back yard. You could get one large enough to give the little guy space to run around safely.
These are wonderful responses - thanks so much! Since we have such a long yard, I wondered about putting in one of those clothesline type lines and leashing him/her up to that. I know people have strong opinions about chaining a dog up - what are your opinions about that? Is it ever a good idea? I'm just in the questioning phase right now, so if it's always a bad idea, then I won't do it.. Why would a chainlink run be better than one of those lines?

Oh, I should mention we have three 100 year old trees on the property, so there's plenty of shade. And both my husband and I work from home, so we're always around.

Thanks for your patience with me!
We used to use the trolley system with Courtney. She wasn't outside for long periods of time, so it worked well. If you are planning on putting your dog outside all day when you are gone, I would invest in a dog run. The trolley line can break (happened a few times with Courtney) and then your dog is gone. Luckily Courtney just came back to the house when it happened with her and I saw it happen both times. That was at my parent's house.

We (MDH and I) have privacy fencing along three sides of our yard, but not on the fourth because our neighbor has a chain link fence. Our corgis run back and forth along it barking. Trunks is usually looking for something to bark at. We are planning on putting up privacy fence along that side next summer, since Trunks has almost given our ninety plus year old neighbor lady a heart attack. We think it will stop the barking a little.
we use that high line idea for camping we string rope from a couple trees and then hook up a length with a caribener to their harness's it works well they can run up and down the length of it without ever getting tangled. each dog gets their own set up we tried 2 on 1 it didn't work well
Kate,
visit the housing office and see if they offer fencing. Many will subsidise the fencing and usually lean toward the woden privacy type - whether 4' or 6' or even taller in some places. The only caveat is that usually you have to intall it yourself, though if theres hardship like your hubby being away, the maintenance complay may install if for you,
My whife and I faced the same delima. We tried the invisible fence but our two corgis didn't respond well to the training and we didn't think it would actully keep them in. We live in a neighborhood that has some pretty tight restrictions on what type of fence (black wrought iron only) which we did. $8000. It has been great to have them run around with out worries. I would check the covents in the neighborhood to see if you have any restrictions.
Get a fencing book at the library. Might get some ideas.
I like the T-posts with wire mesh. Simple, easy, movable/reusable, transparent.

Our neighbors on 3 sides, over the years, put up solid board privacy fences, which I hate. Now, we are shade gardeners. We've lost most of our sun. They're a plague, all over town. Ick.
Where I had a choice, I made the fencing as transparent as possible.
Treated 4x4 posts set in concrete (consult somebody who really does know what they're talking about; I have heard that even in this wet, wet climate, properly drained treated posts will last as long as those set in concrete). That's hearsay. But set gateposts and corner posts in concrete. A fencepost level and a post hole digger are de rigeur for 4x4s. Make sure they're not arsenic.

For the horizontal 2x4s, use those bracket hangers unless you're really really good at toenailing.
For infill, I used that green vinyl(?)-covered mesh, tacked down securely. Lets wind and sunlight through.
In front, to be more festive, I used horizontal cedar 2x4 with vertical 1x2 (?) cedar slats; you can get creative by varying the heights.

I never wanted to do that job but it's so rewarding to see my careful landscaping disappearing under the frapping paths.
On, don't forget: around the compost pile, razor wire. :-)
I would vote for a privacy fence. We had a chain link fence but had to put up a wooden privacy fence due to neighbor dogs trying to get to my puppies
We have no fence. :-( Our yard is very hilly, on several sides, and I'm talking steep drops not just a gentle slope. There is no practical fencing solution. We do have a largish-enclosed deck that the dog loves hanging out on.

The downside to no fenced yard is no games of fetch in the yard. The upside is it really forces us to walk the dog every day, even when the weather is awful or we don't feel well, or in the winter when we walk in the dark. The amazing thing is that no matter how much we don't feel like walking, once we get started we are fine. I have cleats for the winter, I bought a heavy down jacket and long johns. We only don't walk if it's pouring rain and won't let up; if it's in the single-digits out in winter; or if it's so icy it's dangerous for the dog to walk.

However, I have been tossing around the idea of an invisible fence just for if I am out there with the dog and want to toss a ball or work on off-leash training or maybe do some agility tunnels and fences or something.
I had a real nice, but short, chain link fence around the yard when I bought the house. I thought this would be fine when I got Leo. Unfortunately I was wrong. The neighborhood kids were so awful about teasing him through the fence, poking him with sticks and toys that I put up the 6 foot cedar privacy fence. Now it is kind of out of site out of mind. At least it seems to be. I think that whatever you can do to make them safer is good. Keeping them contained sometimes is the least of your worries if they are being harassed from outside the fence. I own my home so makes it easier. I know the boys are still not actually safe, but it is better than it was.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service