A few days ago, I came home and my corgi seemed like he was choking or gagging on something - as if he had a furball in his throat or something. This happened maybe once last year as well, and after a day or so, it went away. I looked it up and i think it appears to be called "reverse sneezing," although it doesn't have anything to do with sneezing.
But it is somewhat freaky - the dog seems to looks like he's unable to breathe and he makes these weird snorting noises. You feel so bad for them as you witness it.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a way to prevent it? Do you think this is potentially something serious?

Views: 284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is horrible isn't it? I actually took Emmy to the vet twice for it when she was younger because I just refused to believe that she was totally fine and it was normal when they told me the first time... I was sure they had missed something and she had a collapsed trachia or something! I have now been reassured (several times) that it is completley fine and normal and that no harm will come to the dog. I guess it happens when they snarf something up that irritates part of their nasal passage... it can be dirt, dust, small crumbs of food, or even water. Some dogs do it more than others, and some will grow out of it. Emmy does it on occasion, and I still feel bad for her everytime it happens, but don't worry... he'll be just fine. :-)
we had spicy food the other day and Trevor would not stop...megan does it a lot also but no harm done...Thank God
You can stop it by covering the nose so they have to breathe thru the mouth. Very gently. Just put a finger over each nostril and hold for the count of three(one -mississippi, two-mississippi, three-mississippi).
It is apparently caused by a nasal irritant. It's hard to prevent. But the longer it goes on, the harder it is for the poor puppy to stop it.
I wish I had known about covering the dog's nose with my last dog. He had a ton of allergies and did it all the time his whole life. Fortunately, I've never heard Charlie have a reverse sneeze yet. But now I know what to do. : - )
Thanks for the info! I never would've thought to do that. My corgi River has always had allergies, and she does that snarfing-snorting noise fairly often. I'll try this next time and see if it helps.
my 6 month corgi does this and a few months ago i thought for sure he had a respirtory problem and was going to be a sickly dog. i previously had a rat terrier that started doing this same thing during the year before she died so i was concerned about it. however, with corgis, i've since learned that it's normal. it does sound exactly like wierd snorting.
My Corgi mix would do this mostly as soon as we left the house or getting ready to go somewhere. The vet said it was allergies and I just hated it because I felt so helpless. I always seemed to me like a asthma attack and that is what I thought it was the first time it happened. I would always gently rub his throat until he stopped. It never lasted very long but it seemed like it.
good to know..sadie makes a noice sometimes which I believe is now this "reverse sneezing." I will try covering her nose, thanks!!
I like to go to Dog Shows to watch the corgis and you see it frequently. It is no big deal apparently and the exhibiters just block the nostrils briefly. Apparently it is pretty common.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service